Help Dyeing a Plastic Fulvia

Any ideas what kind of tape might be the most effective for masking a plastic Peak? I’d like to do this to mine:

I feel comfortable sealing most of it up with hot glue, but I’m really gonna want crisp lines which will probably require tape. Then if that goes well I’d love to try a sort of fade on the cups:

Also is there a limit to how many acetone dunks these can take? I think I’ll need three dips on each side to make this happen, just want to make sure the yo-yo doesn’t get ruined in the process!

I like your idea to draw the peaks… ive been contemplating putting the peak in my designs somehow when i dip mine…

Tape wise i think you will need tape that is thick and has strong adhesive. Ive tried vynil line masking tape, but the adhesive wasn’t strong enough and i got leaks in spots.

As far as nuber of exposures, it’s going to require some experimenting with ratios of dye water and acetone. I would recommend try to dye with a lower % of acetone by volume, like 20-25%. Also, only dip for 5-10 minutes at a time and check the yoyo halves to see how it is picking up dye. Try to plan a series of dips so you are only exposing the yoyo to dye/acetone for like an hour max is another way to try to prevent damage.

Every dye job ive done i learned stuff to tweak next time so its hard to give you any exact steps, ratios. There are alot of variables like the plastic as well. I gotta practice on a fulvia and get back to this thread with my technique.

1 Like

Whipped this up as a test. The pink dye was 2 parts rit pink, 2parts water, 1 part acetone. Dipped for 10 minutes. The rit purple was 3 parts dye, 1 part water, 1.5 parts acetone for 15 minutes. I like how this came out, very easy to do when precision doesn’t matter. To make the pink darker next time, i would do 2 parts dye to 1 part water and like .8 parts acetone.

7 Likes