have you ever...

…been yoyoing anywhere in public, and a bystander sparks a casual conversation about what you do. however during the conversation, they say “i wish i could do that” and never even attempt to learn in the future?

it seems odd that someone would wish to do something, and never end up doing it… :stuck_out_tongue:

I think it’s kind of a spur of the moment thing. It’d be cool to do a lot of things, most of which we never attempt.

1 Like

Well most people that say stuff like that may genuinely wish that they could but don’t have the confidence to proceed. They see something as out of their abilities and immediate disregard any actions after. So whenever I’m approached and this happens, I tell them “you could if you wanted. I learned most of this in a month. If I could, you could too. Just gotta pick one up.” This applies to everything of course.

1 Like

I usually throw in that I’ve only been at it for 7 months, and even still I’ve only been yoyoing casually. They are usually impressed, and some even ask where to buy a yoyo

I wish i could play guitar, but not in the way that I’m going to spend years learning and perfecting that skill, just in the way that if i was suddenly able to play guitar as well as Jimi Hendrix, It’d be pretty neat.

I think that’s more along the lines of what your bystander meant.

So today at work, me and my buddy(who also yoyos) were practicing some tricks. Most of the coworkers there think it’s kinda childish or lame to throw but don’t give us any issues. One coworker who loves watching us throw has been on the sidelines for a few weeks now, intrigued but intimidated, decided to give it a try. Spent a good while learning the bind and finally got it. He was pretty stocked. Asked me how to do a whip bind and got it on his third try. He was completely amazed or so it seemed. He’s very interested in it now and asked me where to learn more and where to buy. Hopefully he keeps this up and joins our family.

Then my other friend from work, who often makes fun of us, gave it ago as well despite all the trash he talks on it. He got a bind down pretty quickly, remembered rock the baby from childhood and did that. I could see that he was happy he did it inside and that he kinda enjoyed it but refused to say so.

So all in all, even people who talk poorly on it actually enjoy it once they give it a go. Too bad their image on it steers them away.

2 Likes

How do you know they don’t attempt in the future?

touché. But it’s safe to say the majority won’t.

1 Like

Ever had it when you went to seek help for a trick only to try and show the one you’re requesting help from the element that’s giving you trouble only to successfully land it and have the trick “click in”?

This happened to me earlier at a local yoyo meet. I had asked about the jump rope hop with And Whut and they weren’t sure what I was talking about as I (being used to YYE tutorials) said "part 3 of And Whut…so I went to show them the element I was having a snag with and didn’t understand at all…then it happended just as I was telling them “this is what I don’t get”…as I smoothly and successfully landed it.

I guess the fellow yoyoer’s Eternal Throw Elysian gave me good luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

have you ever tried fingerspins on the elysian?

they. are. amazing. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

I tried but I am pretty horrible at finger spins at the moment. I watched the club leader do one though and looked pretty good!