Have anyone tried Acanthus S from TP?

I’ve heard Acanthus is somehow unacceptable for using in 1A, but I am thinking to buy Acanthus S because it’s another bi-metal model from TP XD
So how does Acanthus S feels like?

1 Like

This is the first time I’ve ever heard of the Acanthus S ngl. I know it’s extremely unhelpful lmao but an Acanthus S sounds wicked.

The bi-metal version of Acanthus with inner rim
Basically I’m going to be out of budget when I buy it, so even I buy TP’s yoyo with belief I wonder if I would have no regrets when I throw it since I didn’t tried 5A before :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

Ive been searching for reviews/info on this model as well with no luck finding anyone whos played one

1 Like

I have both the acanthus and the acanthus s. They play very similar to each other, for my pair the dimensions seem exactly the same, though I can’t say for certain if the gap width is the same. My acanthus weighs 66.61 grams and the S weighs 66.12 grams. The S has noticeably more spin left at the end of a combo and feels slightly more agile or nimble compared to the monmetal version. They play so close that I only really notice when I play them back to back. I thought the mono acanthus was already incredibly tolerant of janky/sloppy play, the bimetal improves on that. The one other way the bimetal surprised me was that it stays stable down to where it has no more spin, and I’ve wound up doing tricks until the yoyo dies thinking I still had enough spin to get a bind. I can’t think of any other yoyo I’ve played that behaves this well at the limits of its spin time.

I think it’s safe to say that if you like the acanthus then you’ll be happy with the acanthus S, so long as you are OK with paying a lot more for a little extra performance. Out of the 40ish turning point yoyos in my collection, the acanthus siblings are some of my most played. The acanthus has a play feel that is fairly distinct from what I think of as typical turning point, but it still feels very much like a turning point yoyo. Either version of the acanthus would definitely be an incredible 5A yoyo, I plan on buying another acanthus at some point to dedicate to 5A.

3 Likes

I currently use a st Elmo for 5a and have my eyes on a regular acanthus.

Do you have any experience w st Elmo?

If so, how does it compare with acanthus?

I had an acanthus S and sold it very quickly. It did not wow me in anyway and while I’m sure it’s fantastic for 5A, 1A was rather lackluster on it.

2 Likes

Here’s @KirbyRobot review of the Acanthus S