Got my first unresponsive throw

RobK, I totally understand your perspective. In the “what should I get?” threads (I think I popped into yours a few times!) I definitely advocated for the spend as much as you feel comfortable spending perspective. I really don’t get why someone who can afford several hundred dollars on a new hobby would limit themselves to a cheap plastic just because it “seems” like the thing to do.

It’s intuitive to spend only a little on an “uknown commodity” like a new hobby, but this is one of those times that intuition doesn’t serve our best interests. Those of us who are serial hobbyists and enthusiasts KNOW from past experience that we’ll end up with the good stuff sooner than later. Why not start right?

When learning or relearning or improving a skill, it’s almost always more worthwhile and more pleasant (we’re here for the good vibes, right?) to get the best equipment you’re comfortable getting.

Dings schmings. Even if you DID ding your yoyo (which it doesn’t sound like you will, very often) it’s not the end of the world. You can lay down great tricks on some beat up yoyos. :wink:

Well said Greg. You can’t take it with you, so if you’ve got it, why not spend it on something you’ll enjoy. :slight_smile:

You know, with all that money…

My birthdays comin up…

I’ve been wanting an El Ranchero…

I mean…

oops. Sloppy quote editing on my part. Fixed now.

Yes, this is exactly it! As they say in many of the hobby forums, buy once, cry once. Buying cheap generally means replacing it later when you outgrow or wear out the cheaper item. Not a perfect analogy here, but similar idea. I’ll eventually want to try the nice stuff, and can afford to start there.

I’ll admit, I’ve gone overboard even by my standards. I bought the Mighty Flea in the B/S/T today. ::slight_smile: I think I’m now up to 16 new throws in the past 2 weeks. 2 of them were classics, and 2 more were <$30 plastics, so I’m not going ONLY high end.

I’m not sure what I’m going to like, so having a nice selection is nice. I know I’ll want to try this stuff eventually, and is part of why I am buying so many used items as well. When I find things I don’t want to keep, I can re-sell them and lose a little less. It’s all good fun for now, and I am excited about the journey.

Is antique bronze ok? Just PM me your mailing address.

j/k.
:wink:

You tease. I actually wanted the bronze. I saw the first sentence and was like
“HOLY NARDBUCKETS THIS MAN IS AN ANGEL MOMMY IM GONNA BE ON TV IM FAMOUS OKAY MAYBE NOT BUT THIS MAN IS GIVING ME A YOYO MOMMY THIS IS EXCITING WHY DON’T YOU CARE”
Then I saw the second part and was like…

No…

Why…

Mommy where are the knives…

Not to rub salt in the would, but El Ranchero is a lovely throw. And I have the bronze.

Kind of want the Gunmetal Gray now, too. :wink:

I need to resist the urge. There are at least 3 more throws I’m interested in that I’m trying not to buy right now, I don’t need to add a 4th.

1 Like

Well, I got 8 more in the mail today. Only have had time to play with the DreadnoughtG so far. LOVE that thing. Much easier for me to learn on than the MaxBet. The oversize and extra weight give me extra stability. I am excited to have so many options as I improve my skills.

Haha nice. A good stable yoyo is always good for learning.

Don’t even worry about improving your throw or bind. You do those things every time you start and finish a trick, so it’ll come naturally. I would start learning some of the tricks here on YYE. This’ll spice things up a bit instead of just standing there practicing your throw.

Good luck!

Personally I really disliked the DreadnoughtG. Didn’t work with my play style at all. Then again long sleep times, large size, and stability are probably helpful for where you are. Don’t expect it to be blazing through crazy combos like nobody’s business when you’re at that point :wink:
Well, whatever floats your boat dude, I’m super glad you’re enjoying your new throws!

Yeah, I’m trying to get a nice stable front throw, but I throw in some intermediate string tricks with the practice. Front and back loops and mind twister kind of stuff. I’m working on getting a good breakaway into a trapeze and willrobably start working on the other breakaway mounts tomorrow, My front throw front and rear mounts seem to be landing with high levels of success. I’m focussing more on getting the throws and tricks to be solid and without leaning the yoyo, not as worried about long combos or max spin yet. Once the muscle memory is solid on great throws, I’ll work I getting them stronger.