Good fast/speed yo-yo?

Hi all. I’m fairly new to this have been going for about six months, and looking for a good fast or speed type yo-yo. Is floaty the same thing? I see those descriptions used hand in hand I think. Not looking for a super boutique or pricey throw, just a good solid reputable yo-yo that is readily available to purchase.

Just trying to cover most bases to see what I prefer - so far have power (peregrine), fun (OD free solo), and a shutter (all around - if that’s what would call it?)

Thanks!

3 Likes

I’m not sure what “pricey” is to you. What is the limit of what you want to spend on this?

Bad description - sorry. Try to keep under $60

The real speed demons are bi-metals. The few monometals (that I know of) that are designed for top speed tend to be in that pricey super boutique category. One model that comes immediately to mind is the YoyoFriends Sunbird. It is available (here on YYE, in fact), but it costs $65.

2 Likes

Topyo Impulse is a solid choice if you’re into speedy style

2 Likes

I would agree with this as the first to come to my mind is the G2 Elite 18 but it its a pricier option. But I agree the bi metal is the way for speed in this instance

1 Like

Agree the b18 is a great option but a bit pricier

Valhalla is on the way as well and fits the bill

2 Likes

Valhalla is so nice!

1 Like

Thanks all! Will definitely look at these. The extra $5 for the sunbird wouldn’t be a deal breaker.

I’ve been keeping up with the Valhalla looks awesome. Sounds like G2 releases are tough to get what do you think actual chances landing one are? I’ve not been around for one

1 Like

It depends on the release, honestly. Some are easier than others. A lot of it depends on how many get made and how many pass QC. He’s pretty strict on his QC, which is one reason they’re popular.

You can find them on the BST fairly often, and if you join the Facebook group, you can find things for sale there, too.

1 Like

I saw an insane deal for a BanSShee on the FB BST for $69 yesterday, but that is prolly long gone by now. Hard to beat that price to performance ratio.

3 Likes

Oh no, you’re saying valhalla plays a little on the speedy side? I’ll probably still snag one but I much prefer my floats

2 Likes

I would highly recommend the magic yoyo zo1 focus for a fast, stable, long spinning yoyo that is only 40$. Its also a bi metal.

1 Like

Yeah, I got the Sunbird at a contest and I am really enjoying it. Definitely recommend. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

The C3 Railgun is incredibly fast. Reticyoyo Puff adder is also quite fast. The issue that I have with both of those yoyos is they prioritize speed over spin time and stability, but if you are looking for something relatively inexpensive with great speed, these would be my picks.

The Kenshin is also a speed demon. If you buy second hand, you can find them pretty easily for around 60. Out of the 3 though, the railgun is the fastest. The Kenshin however, has much greater stability and spin time.

I also disagree that you have to buy a bimetal to get extreme speed. Most of the fastest yoyos I have played have actually been monometals.

Speed and floaty are also completely different. Most really fast yoyos that I have played have not been floaty. A truly floaty yoyo will feel like it stays in the air longer, making it sometimes more difficulty to play fast.

1 Like

Shouldn’t the Peregrine already be plenty speedy enough? I’m not sure how one would tell whether a particular yoyo would be more or less speedy to be honest.

I think it’s all about preference. I remember in one topic, one guy said A was faster than B, then the other guy said A was slower than B

1 Like
4 Likes

Thanks all…great information here. Yes I’m now seeing speed vs float are different. Thought I’d seen where they were used in the same sentence/descriptions but think was wrong on that.

Also see where some are advertised as fast and reviewers will say it is not fast, or where one reviewer calls something fast and another says it’s not fast…just tells me in the end it’s a matter of personal style/technique and preference.

4 Likes

Try the iceberg machined plastic with stainless rings. Very strong and stable. Around $50.

2 Likes