Getting started in 5a…

This series is amazing. I really wasnt sure where to start with 5a and within a couple of days of starting this series . I have gone from barely throwing a breakaway to doing the 360 trick. Unwinding and finishing with a bind. Can’t wait to see what the rest of the series has to teach.

1 Like

Yay!! I have nothing to add really. I agree with marble on everything. Shorter string is wildly overlooked for 5A. Everyone tells me i have crazy short string. But, seems to work for me.

And the not getting stuck on the basics thing… it’s very true that alot of players don’t get passed the basics. There’s a TON of “mid-level” elements in 5A that there are no tutorials for. Much to explore here. 5A’s been my main style of play the entire time i’ve been throwing and i would struggle to do all the basic tricks. They are important for sure, but there 5A door is WIDE open.

1 Like

Really has opened my eyes to how hard it is.

I will say I don’t know if I like the feeling of being a beginner again lol. So much happening at once with the counterweight haha

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s alot. But all yoyo is. Lol i just started 3A a few months ago so i feel you on the feeling like a beginner again. But i like the change of pace/ challenge.

3 Likes

What does 5a zoning mean

1 Like

I think in this instance it is meant as being in the “zone” like focus… not like Horizontal style… then again my 5A is slightly better then my Zontal style no matter how in the zone i am, so i may have it the wrong way.

2 Likes

Same as in 1A, just moving the yoyo outside of the standard front of body zone. So moving the yoyo behind your back, above/behind head, under leg, around arm, way off to your side, etc.

Bigger people complaining about shorter string being less comfortable to do arm/leg wrap type stuff or behind the back because their bigger body “wastes” more string to have the yoyo go around it.

2 Likes