getting laughed at

There are limitations whether you should yoyo or should not. But if you get really good, their minds change. :slight_smile:

The guy that used to make fun my yoyoing joined my yoyo club. ;D

High Five

LOL Im Home Schooled too, so I dont get teased that much anymore. But last year and the Year before that, I was teased. People said, “YoYos are Pointless” “Get a Life” Things like that. And still to this day My Sisters and Step Dad hate YoYos. And sometimes when Im out in Public, like the Mall or Store or Park or something, some kids really enjoy me yoyoing, and some people think its stupid. That reminds me, 2 weeks ago, me and my Friend were yoyoing at the Mall and some Preppy Teenagers came up to me and said, “Oh Look, Geeks. Wow Im so Amazed (Sarcasticly)” And I know people can get on your last nerve, but whatever. Usually when somebody says they dont like me, or they hate yoyos, Ill just look back at them and say, “Good for You!” :smiley:

1 Like

Good attitude! :wink: Actually most people who see me yo-yo in public think it’s really cool (they obviously don’t know how really unimpressive my tricks are in the big picture), especially people at my college. There was a guy who said he used to yo-yo and he begged to play with my Throw Monkey, and I got some people from other classes to learn a little too, and a classmate said her boyfriend would probably like to be friends with me because he used to yo-yo but now he contact juggles. So yeah a lot of people really like it, though some of them were scared I was going to wack them…lol.

When I brought my yoyo to school everybody laughed but I knew that I was good enough to drop their jaws. You should have seen the looks on thire faces. Yesterday I was in another class and I showed these people who I don’t know my yoyo and they laughed. But my friend was in there with me and he just looked at me and said," go ahead, show em". I owned them all and being a senior in high school it does look a little weird but I could beat them all and I know it. (not bragging though) 8)

You have to ignore it.

I’ve got friends that will say I’m “gay” for yoyoing, and then ask me 10 minutes later to see my StarLite. It’s an ongoing cycle.

You just learn to ignore it.

i constantly see people look at me while im yoyoing and there like “oow and ahhh” and people say how do you do that. and i hate when people constantly ask me about the same trick "how do you that.

I hate getting asked to walk the dog >.>

OMG!!! me too!! its like “so you can do all that crazy stuff but you cant walk the dawg?” and then I say “i dont want to because itll hurt my throw.” than they go “hah! loser!” than I do either; A: a hand grind, finger grind, than arm grind; or B: tell them to get on the floor so I can use thier back. that usually shuts em up. and they are so impressed because of 30 consecutive round the worlds… and rock the baby, and jamacan flag, eifel tower. and they arnt impressed by and what yuuki slack or supa man! gahh… stupid people… ends rant

1 Like

Quote for absolute and complete truth.

Deal with it.

1 Like

Medicine helps as well.

Just find the happy place.

Well my big thing is that people act like we are in a field that deserves a lot of respect. Yes, what we do is hard, and takes a lot of practice. But do people know that? No. Most people see it as an activity that gets pushed aside when you are 7 years old. Because to most people it is. We can’t expect everyone to see yoyoing as we do, because we see it in a completely different way than most people.

So of course people are going to give us crap. WE ARE WEIRD.

And dangit, be proud that you’re weird. Normality SUCKS.

2 Likes

may I add that I am in a boychoir that toured to argentina, Im nearly a black belt, placed 3rd in nats in tae kwon do, and heck, Im a type one diabetic. NO I AM NOT FAT! Thats type two…

Yeah I used to (and still do) get a lot of crap for it at school. Most of the previous posters summed up the type of harassment you get pretty well so I won't describe that. However I want to say that I mostly get it from the boys at my school. The girls actually seem to like it and are always asking to try out my yoyos and have me teach them a trick. 

I would say the tables are beginning to turn :wink: :wink:

I lol’d so hard at the “use your back” comment I just about lost it on a co-worker of mine who asked to use my new throw and went right to a walk the dog on concrete!!! whenever I hear someone tell me “walk the dog!!” I want to slap them with a forward pass.

agreed!!! gosh thats funny.

don’t worry.people who joke about something are jealous.maybe they are jealous of you being able to yoyo

…Yeah, that’s pretty much it. You just gotta own it dude. Just like with anything else, if you conduct yourself in a way that commands respect, people will give you your respect - even if they do start out as being jerks eventually they will come around if you keep your head up and show them that you’re in it for the long haul. Like hyenas they can smell your fear and tend pick off the weak.

1 Like

I kinda dont care if people get laugh at my yoyoing or anything, it doesn’t change my yoyoing.

if people like pasta, it doesn’t mean i have to like it.

i have my own community.

and, actually, i likd pasta.

1 Like

It’s quite a unique hobby, and most people don’t even know what you can do with a yoyo. I’m more intimidated by really good players, than worry about the general public.

I was homeschooled too, '89-'01 and so yea, I’m not a kid anymore, luckily all you have to do is a braintwister to impress people.

Dave