Gentry wins 2015 Nationals!!

i already own 3. One of which was bought to give as a Christmas gift for finances little sister since she showed interest and learned to bind. I’ve been meaning to buy a yoyo for my little sister since she’s also just landed a bind and was thinking about a replay for her. Guess noes the time to do so. Thanks for the reminder. Pink is also her favorite color so this works wonderfully.

And imo, gormley has more talent. He’s just way more creative where gentry seems to be a speed machine. Not exactly a fan of gentry but I give him credit.

I’ll be giving away a Replay soon, I bought a few due to the sale.

Is it a tradition with the Worlds winners, to sit out during Nationals when the time comes? I don’t really keep track. I’m a huge fan of Gentry, and I don’t follow Zach much at all. Different strokes, I guess. I think it’s interesting that the two are mentioned in the same breath a lot lately. I wonder if it’s just two major contest winners back-to-back, two recent Nationals winners compared, or something a little more than that too.

Gentry is super nice to his fans. I’m kicking myself for not snapping a pic with him at NER.

I talked to Zach. He told me I remind him of himself when he was my age. He said he just felt like sitting out. Most people used their worlds routines and Zach said he wants to make something new in time for LV Open. But in 2014, gentry was world champ and yet he did nats

i use my thank yous sparingly but that was great so have one on me.

Gentry certainly is talented. I won’t deny that. And he seems very nice. I just like gormley style. He’s tricks look cool and he does it in an interesting way. I like that he doesn’t rely on speed and string hits but just being himself and killing it. If I were to relate it to breakdancing, not sure if anyone really knows much about it, there are power moves, and then there freezes and foot work. Everyone that doesn’t really know bboying our just likes flashy stuff, then power moves is all they care about(windmills, headspins, flairs etc). But I like the smooth intricate footwork that’s more of an art and ending their tricks with sick freezes. Not saying one is better than the other. It’s just my personal taste.

I didn’t see gentry perform, or anyone other than the last few people to perform, but congrats. I’m certain you deserved it.

I follow that style of dance, so I know what you mean about the difference, and it being a matter of taste. The elements that I like most about Gentry’s style are his rhythm, very choreographed moves, great timing, and his stage presence is great. I think he is one of the best in terms of getting the crowd into what he’s doing and looking like he’s having a lot of fun on stage. He uses the stage well too. I don’t even just look at things from a trick perspective, but the overall performance value too. I will catch up on Zach at some point too.

I wonder if sometimes they hold back, to let someone else get the #1 spot though. Maybe even in the subconscious. :-\

i think it’s easier to get the crowd moving cause he had a big fan base. Not sure if he earned that by his performances or what but you’re right, he does look like he’s having fun which is cool. Kinda feels like he doesn’t really care about the comp and is just up there to play. Which I like. Like you, I haven’t gotten to keep up with gentry much, so I’ll have to watch more of his stuff and get back to ya.

Isn’t it nice to have a discussion with opposite opinions while respecting each other’s thoughts?

Haha this analogy is really cool since I think having a solid six step is way better looking that a fancy flare LOL

Or Zach might not want to stress it. Most people who used their world routine did WORSE because they new they had a better chance so they got more nervous :frowning:

you know where the thank you button is… ::slight_smile:

I agree. Floor rock is where it’s at. Takes a lot more of someone to come up with some illy floor rock. Once you get the mechanics of whatever power move, you then just have to kick or move faster. Not with floor rock. Then bust out a sick freeze. Nothing like it.

I love the replay pro, one of my favorite throws. And its been that way when they first released it

^ Wow! That’s a cool Replay collection. I have metal, clear and yellow/pink already. I just ordered four more colors during the sale. The clear is my main Replay right now.

I have 2 in the aurora color and one solid green. I may get a white one too eventually.

The clear is my favorite as well. It seems to be a more solid plastic then the rest. Doesn’t have a cap on it. So I feel it is more solid than the others. Just my opinion though

doesnt have a cap?

Quote from Gentry Stein’s interview:

“My goal for this contest is to win with a $16 yoyo”

1 Like

Sigh, time to see some replies get deleted as per usual when Mikers responds to something.

But back on topic!

Gentry pretty much did better with his Replay at Nationals than he did with his Shutter at Worlds.

Was equipment the issue? NOPE! Probably nothing other than nerves and jet lag or maybe just a slightly off day.

All I can say as most others have already said in here, $10.60? I guess I’m getting 3 more of these things. :slight_smile:

Saying with a username Angry Skills.

Allow me to explain.

Taylor has been throwing for a little over a year, and he’s already nationally ranked. His tricks have a great amount of flair and difficultly compared to what I was doing after one year. When I met him at nationals, I was in awe of his skill. Especially after so little time yo-yoing.

I immediately dubbed him angry skills. Like mad skills, but a level past that. He’s a great player, and one of my favorite newcomers in the game.

Angry Skills FTW!!!

1 Like

Thanks man. It was fun meeting you at nats :slight_smile: