General Yoyo Thoughts

Nah nah it’s not about that it being not flashy, it’s that you’re using a not bind-friendly mount when you do that bind, so you’re basically forcing the bind to happen (sidespin throws use an undermount to bind). But yeah, if it works then i have nothing else to say lol.

3 Likes

That shot by Weber melted my face off.

2 Likes

Gotta admit it kind of bugs me out a little bit as well. Not in a bad way, but more of an eyebrow raising “huh?” sort of way. It’s a really strange go-to bind, that’s for sure. My personal go to bind from a trapeze is to throw the yoyo back into a brother mount, drop the slack in my non-throw hand, and then flick the yoyo with my throw hand to the side, encouraging the bind. Or the one that dude from yo-tricks always does where he goes from trapeze, flips the yoyo onto the other side of the string, and binds.

I have to practice more binds. Ive been messing around trying to figure out the sky bind lately, and while ive landed it, it isn’t intuitive yet. I can land it maybe 1 in 10 attempts, which is not reliable enough to use in a combo.

These days after I already have a yoyo of each shape that I like, what I look for most in new purchases is uniqueness. I just bought an Umbra because it is quite a bit wider than anything I have in my collection. I also just got a Doc Pop Weekender because it is a uniquely designed metal yoyo meant for modern responsive style tricks (kicks the crap out of my Deep State for that purpose). Another notable recent purchase of mine was the Ti-888, because titanium and ultimately, hubstacks. Ive been able to avoid without FOMO a lot of new yoyos because they are just a slight iteration of what I already have.

Well, it’s kind of like thinking all poly is the same, when you have stuff like Markmont where you can hardly believe it is the “same” material (poly) as what Kitty string is made of. You should also explore nylon/poly blends, as I find some of those to be more interesting than the straight-up nylon Airetic strings.

Glad to hear it. Yoyoing is as much about the experience doing it than it is about successfully executing tricks. Landing a successful Kwyjibo pop on my Butter is infinitely less satisfying than it is on my General-Yo 5 Star for instance. There is a reason why people call less efficient design yoyos “fun”, and that is because the appeal of them is in the experience of playing with them, not the performance. Sure, performance yoyos can and are “fun” to play with, but they are inherently designed not to have performance weaknesses vs organics and the like are designed for other reasons (to be summed up as “fun”).

edit: for some reason the quote format is broken. Why can’t I quote multiple points from someone’s post in one post? Maybe @codinghorror can answer?

6 Likes

lol I feel like I’m getting judged by my binds haha. Guess I’m not in the ‘cool’ crowd! >.<’

I’ll be the first to admit I’m a noob.
I have been learning new binds. I use the trapeze bind out of convenience more than anything. /noob

5 Likes

No offense meant, it’s just a strange bind that I myself would hate to do, lol. You actually know more tricks than I do, and id also consider myself a n00b. In reality you are more intermediate/advanced than you give yourself credit for. When I watch my brother play with my yoyo when he comes over, and keeps throwing the yoyo down just to do the most basic bind, I no longer think im just a n00b. It also doesn’t help that he says im the best yoyo player he has ever met, and he said he knew a few kids in college that yoyoed. Like EOS said, if it works for you, keep doing it. A good bind is one that you feel confident with throwing at full velocity, so if it serves that purpose, then it’s a good bind.

4 Likes

Awwww lol :heart:

A lot of the tricks I do end on a trapeze…and so I started to bind from there. It’s become a habit.
I have started to learn cooler/funner binds…but even still, when I’m just practicing to practice…I still use the trapeze bind…lol it’s just so easy.

I’ve been forcing myself to do more sky binds at then end of my tricks this past couple of weeks. Same with snap starts…been trying to do those more often as well.

I imagine as I become more skilled and other binds become more natural to me…this basic bind will become a thing of my past.

2 Likes

You actually just want to do the opposite of what you’re doing. Bring the yo-yo up into the string instead down on it.

Just as natural to do from trapeze

I don’t know what it’s called, but I have a bind that I do 90% of the time thats kind of different I could upload later too.

4 Likes

Oh yeah I use this bind a TON.

1 Like

Try making it your default. Technically the other one goes against the spin of the yo-yo.

It’s not a huge deal but I’m surprised you haven’t had any face smacking snags.

7 Likes

Yoing for others in new to me. I’m still too scared to yo in front of people out here in the 3d world. This is the first time I’ve shared images (and especially videos) of myself with people online.

I guess now that I’m starting to venture into this stuff…I should focus on flashier binds instead of just sticking with my goto easy ones.
Besides…it’ll help me become more skilled :smiley:

lol I’ve never thought anything of my trapeze bind until you guys mentioned it.

6 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever gotten a snag from this bind. The only bind I get snags/knots from is the ghost/laceration bind I use.

And this is becoming less and less of an issue for me the more I’m using the bind.

1 Like

It’s not so much being flashy, it’s just like I said it’s very surprising you don’t have any issues with snagging. Otherwise I don’t think anyone would think anything of it.

And I’ll see if I can find vids of the other bind I do normally

4 Likes

I’m one of those people that’s very firm on my stances but 100% will change in light of new experience or evidence. So if you see a strong stance I have feel free to argue.

@FrankieJR is currently trying to change my view on yo-yos narrower than 45mm and undersize yo-yos.

But yeah I’ll maintain that certain yo-yo traits are better but not they are a better experience.

3 Likes

It actually isn’t because your bind is easy, it is because it goes counter to bind theory. Theoretically speaking, it’s a bad bind. But if it works for you it’s fine.

As for the ghost bind, yea, I never trust mine either. Sometimes it looks to be good, but instead it’s just a knot.

4 Likes

lol I like the name @French came up for this!

4 Likes

Haha, that’s hilarious. I will officially refer to it that way for now on :laughing:

3 Likes

I recommend YoTricks goto bind #1. It looks good, it’s easy, you can do it with almost no spin because it doesn’t need to climb the string, many(most?) binds are sort of a variation of it, and it’s perfectly reliable.

2 Likes

Quote tags can’t be mixed like that. Either on their own line or one line not mixed.

2 Likes

Thanks :slight_smile: I’ll start working on this bind today!

I haven’t thought about my trapeze bind until you guys brought it up here.
It’s become a bit of a bad habit for me, and I’m going to start replacing it from here on out.
Despite me being a bit grumpy lol (man I’m having a rough time with sleep these past couple of weeks!)…I’m glad you guys brought it up. Constructive feedback is a great way to learn and to move forward.

6 Likes

You and me both man. Worst part is how much it’s cut into my yoyoing time :rofl:

3 Likes