General Yo Amplitude: A High Speed YoYo Review

The hat pads in my prestige have lasted a while.

Mine, too. Though I’ve sensed lately they might benefit from refreshing.

I don’t regret buying the Amplitude but it’s nothing special. It’s an excellent cost-performance yo-yo but there are many better yo-yos. They just tend to cost a lot more.

So you are saying that the yo-yo is nothing special except for the fact that you think it is the best performing yo-yo in its price range and anything better is going to set you back a good deal more. Seems pretty special to me. http://www.giraffeboards.com/images/smilies/thumbs_up_smiley.gif

I never said or implied the bold portion. Speaking probabilistically there are likely at least a dozen or so yo-yos in that price range I would like better. But I only have two yo-yos in the $60-150 range so I can’t make that determination.

$60 to $150??? That is one heck of a range there bud. You might want to refine your criteria. Also, when one says that there are many better but cost much more it is safe to assume that the person speaking considers the yoyo that is “and excellent cost-performance yoyo” to be the best yoyo in the $120 range.… and I would have to agree, it is one of the best in that specific price point. ;D

The way things are now, almost every yoyo in that range is going to be pretty good.

Horses for courses. I like the Amplitude better than most of my case, regardless of price. I think it DOES have something special to it.

The more time that passes, the more strongly I believe that the mental game has more to do with whether we like a yoyo or not than the yoyo’s performance. :wink:

@ SaintRobyn

I came up with the $60 - $150 range because I only have two yo-yos in that range, a C3 Movitation and an Amplitude. I like the Amplitude a little better but the Movitation is really smooth too. I have one delrin yo-yo that was just under $60, two Diffusion 2s that were $35, and two Loop 1080s that were like $20 each. And aside from a couple 4A yo-yos in that range, everything else is $150+, which is I don’t know, somewhere around 15-17 yo-yos.

It is not at all valid to make the assumption that if someone thinks a yo-yo is an excellent cost-performance yo-yo that it is the best. By “excellent” I mean quantitatively I expect I would like it more than about 80-90 percent of yo-yos in the same price range, which I guess we can refine to say $80-$130. Though I don’t really think there’s much of a difference between some $60 yo-yos and $150 yo-yos. Yoyo Officer and RecRev make great yo-yos for around $60. CLYW charges $150 for similar yo-yos.

Maybe for you.

I agree with Greg, placebo if you want to like/hate a yoyo, you probably will.

I think my takeaway from this conversation is I need to find an Amplitude…

Even though I had that topic about the Amp, I really really like mine. I will be adding to that topic I started with updates on my bearing.

You really should. :slight_smile:

It is an excellent V-Shape yo-yo.

The way I look at it, you came into a thread on the Amplitude called it nothing special without giving reasons as to WHY it is nothing special and then call it an excellent yo-yo so you are doing nothing more than contradicting yourself while also trying to start a dust up. I am not saying your aren’t entitled to your opinion but at least back it up with why. It is helpful to others that may be able to point you to yo-yos that better suit your preferences and it also helps the manufacturers as well. I know for a fact that manufacturers look at these review threads to get an idea of what people think… including this one.

As for your yo-yos all being $150+ with very few exceptions that just tells me that you equate price with quality. Just because it costs a lot does not mean it is going to play better than the lower priced yo-yos. The problem is that people feel like they have to justify the expenditure by bagging on lesser priced products. I would put a 70ish dollar B-Grade General Yo up against some of the $150+ yo-yos on the market any day of the week and don’t even get me started on the A-Grades. ;D

Ano flaws/vibe don’t really make yoyos play worse.

I think Shai was trying say it’s good, but not notable.

TRUTH!!!

I actually prefer my daily carries to be B-Grades if possible. There is that mental hang up of “dear lord don’t let me harm this relatively expensive toy” that just melts away when you know your yo-yo already has a flaw. Don’t get me wrong, I still play the heck out of my a-grades, I just wince less when they hit my deck, desk, ceiling… or me. But that is just me, I was also the kid that use to strap his G.I. Joes to bottle rockets as a kid. ;D

Personally I love the Amplitude and I own a whole bundle of yoyos. It plays exactly like I expected and wanted. The Fragment/Uragment being my favorite yoyos, I had hoped the Amplitude would play with similar quickness, lightness, and just have that same feel I love, and it does. Just slightly bigger, heavier, and with a C bearing. Truly became one of my instant faves, and that’s all I care about. Arguing about performance is just silly, I mean really, but no need to have that discussion yet again.

Colors and finishes aren’t exactly what I would have chosen, but that’s sorta been the theme of General Yo since the beginning so no surprise there.

Also for the $79 shipped I think I paid for it, that’s just insane value for money, one of my best purchases in a while.

I was wondering when you would show up. :slight_smile:

I asked for clarification. He contradicted himself in his first post and then was using yo-yos twice the price using vastly different techniques to achieve their performance to base his reasoning of said original statements. Something I seem to remember even you saying was not a fair comparison in a different post. I have no problem with people disagreeing with me, I welcome it. I just want to know why. As I said it helps others to point people to yo-yos that are more to their liking and it is excellent feedback for manufacturers. Essentially, own your opinion I will do the same. Heck, I do every time I write a review since any review I write is just my detailed opinion with pretty pictures.

On a side note, have you gotten a chance to throw an Amplitude yet Matt? If so, what are your thoughts? I know you loved the original Majesty but were not too enthused about the M10.

I am assuming you picked up one of the B-Grades… those were an amazing price and I have found that Ernie’s B-Grades play better than other companies’ A-Grades.

So just out of curiosity, if you could have had your Amplitude in any colorway and finish what would you have chosen?

Personally I would go with the German Edition 5-Star v.2 finish and colorway. The Dark Green and Purple used in conjunction with that bead blast is probably the best Ernie has ever done and one of my all time favorites for any yo-yo… but i have a thing for Joker themed yo-yos. It is tied with the Clear Soda Blast look One Drop used on the original Project but that Gen-Yo finish grinds ten times better.

Why do people always compare cars to yoyos? It isn’t a fair comparison, 100-200 bucks is a lot different than 20k-300k.

To me nothing special means “it isnt a game changer” not “it sucks”.

The reason he said he was the only one was because there isn’t anyone else on the forums who can give their opinion on whether the Amplitude is worse or not.

Why can’t we all be happy, not start a nuclear war.