Gen(eration) X throwers?

I’m 36, was into yoyos in the 90s and took a break around 99. Came back last year because I have a son and wanted a wholesome hobby that I could share with him. He is 6 and still learning how to do gravity pull but has fun with me. It’s something fun for both of us that doesn’t involve a screen.

2 Likes

tru dat

Being older and slower and having a very full schedule. During a day I will have quite a few opportunities to play with a yoyo for 5 minutes, but I don’t often have the time to really focus on learning a new trick. Today has been unusual for me and I’ve already spent 2+ hours yoyoing, taking breaks to see what’s going on here and digging through youtube tutorials.

When I was in college and even at the beginning of my career it was difficult to have any room in my budget for yoyos. Now its much easier to make room in the budget for my toys.

2 Likes

42… Woah, same age as @edhaponik, but I got into it later, circa 2008 when yoyonation was booming. I was searching for some meteor-related stuff online and stumbled onto Taka’s slow motion video of “taka hook”, for which he used a YYJ Meteor. The first yoyo video I ever watched…

Before seeing that video I had no idea you could do something so cool with a yoyo. I think the 2nd yoyo video I ever watched was Yuuki Spencer 2007 Nationals, where he was yoyoing like a madman to Atari Teenage Riot “Speed”.

Again, amazing that this was possible. Also hilarious that Yuuki was yoyoing to that song. I was hooked and ordered a fluorescent yellow YYJ Big Ben that I used to get started, dutifully cracking my knuckles with that semi-responsive yoyo (at least with o-rings) until I could land a decent trapeze from breakaway. Fast forward 11 years and I’m still yoyoing for no apparent purpose (jokes… I just mean that it was never for competition since I was too old since the beginning and it was always for the practice, not goal-oriented, for me since the beginning), and Yuuki is still the GOAT as far as I’m concerned.

3 Likes

getting back to where i was, having enough time to do it, not obsessing about it!

conceding unresponsive throws are legit…

2 Likes

I still do Taka Hooks all the time lol!

2 Likes

Not obsessing is a real thing. There’s a fine line between making time for throwing in your life, and making time for life in your throwing.

3 Likes