G2 YoYos New - Eclipse Day

Out sourcing just doesn’t have the same quality.

We make solid color yoyos right now, that does drop the price a decent amount.

We could do a simpler design, but would still have to go smaller.

What do you guys want that doesn’t involve price :slight_smile:

Just throwing this out there: Although side effects are “One Drop’s thing,” I think they have made it clear that they’d love to see the technology adopted by other companies. I don’t know if there’s a licensing cost involved or not, but there’s nothing to fear in terms of stealing One Drop’s thunder… they seem to genuinely WANT side effects to become a popular feature in yoyos other than just their own.

Plenty of other companies are already using SE’s. Anti-Yo and Eternal Throw come to mind immediately. I think it’s pretty clear that this is definitely one feature that we’ll see more and more over the next year or two. It’s very clever and very effective at changing the yoyo’s play drastically.

If I can’t have a full size budget throw, then I think the next step for G2 is a really interesting under to midsize. Not to bring other companies into it, but the Dietz is my idea of totally different avenue that G2 hasn’t explored. A lightweight, non-organic shaped, all out competition throw. If I had my wish I’d like to see something in the 50mm diameter, but a wider than usual 42 or 43mm width. That size almost doesn’t exist currently but I think the wider throws I’ve been playing recently bring something great to the table. Maybe something in the 63g range for ultra quick play.

I don’t want to get into your business too much. You already know how pleased I am with the products you guys are putting out. My only issue is I promised an unboxing video for the AL7 Albatross, so I think I gotta bang out one tomorrow night after it arrives just so I can play it quickly. I otherwise feel they are priced exactly where they need to be.

You’re not cutting corners by hand siliconing each yoyo and then passing those savings onto us.

I honestly don’t know what to suggest.

Is there a less costly alternative to the surface treatment? I don’t know if you want to compromise there.

Maybe a different bearing? However, I’m not helping by suggesting a Trifecta, that’s going to bump prices up. I also like Terrapin X dry play treated bearings, so again, I’m not helping there either.

Anodizing. I know this is a touchy area. The good ones are expensive but worth it, but the less costly ones are inconsistent. I love the look of clear/raw, but I prefer it anodized to be more protected, which a clear anodizing will take care of. Clear or 1 color, it’s pretty much going to be the same costs. I do like simpler though. Solids are my main preference, as well as silver in appearance. If more people felt my way, it might help. However, many people want the colorways, while I want solids. This is the only compromise area.

Do you outsource to China? While you can save costs, are you really saving anything? Having to QC every single half gets old after a while. Finding a shop that actually gives a crap and will honor the proper specifications to the required high tolerances… I don’t know. It seems that it’s best to stick with the shop you have doing them already. Sometimes it’s worth it to ensure fewer issues.

A really bad idea would be a “Some Assembly Required” solution. Silicone it yourself and supply your own bearing. But, really I think this is bad. While I’m willing to do this and would buy one to save money, I honestly would prefer the yoyo to be ready to go right out of the package. String already on the yoyo is entirely optional. I don’t feel this option is worth placing any serious consideration into.

Sorry, I’m not helping. I’ve got a large enough collection. I can always use more experience and variety and more skill. I must feel that the G2 product is still a bargain at the price you’re selling them at. Serious. I forget what I paid for the Albatross(I have it logged), but it feels more expensive than it sells for. The AL7 coming in tomorrow, I am positive will be the same experience. The Nessie also does the same thing.

The “some assembly required” is an option I would love to see a high end company embrace. I’ve always thought of it as the “beater edition”.

I want an Albatross or Nessie quality throw with no anno, no box, no response, no string, no bearing, no nothing but good halves. I have silicone, I have bearings, I have string, and I don’t need a box. I can even polish or brush the halves if I have to. What I really want is the lowest possible cost option for playing a great yoyo design, without having to worry so much about dinging my $130 throw.

I don’t know the feasibility of this, but it seems (to me) like a great way to get rid of B-grade halves without going to any extra trouble…or maybe a way to make a little extra cash along with your production runs without adding extra effort. I think there are enough enthusiasts around with the know how to utilize something like this.

Some assembly required is an interesting idea.

I hand test every yoyo before it is sent out.
There would be a risk in that aspect.

This. I would love this.

So would I!

I like the idea of a build it yourself offering. Sell the options individually. In my day job, this model works very well, though in a very different industry. A low entry price will attract more customers and make up the difference by selling the options (bearing/string/response).

Beyond a different business model, I would like to see G2 create something new. I really like the extreme H-Shapes and would love to see a G2 take on that concept. The idea of putting SEs on the Tross and/or Nessie is a cool idea too.

“Assemble yourself” is an interesting idea, but has a bunch of challenges. Users would need to be prepared to accept some level of vibe since you can’t test unassembled and unmatched halves.

Realistically, there’s just not that much money in the ‘extras’ that go into making a complete yoyo. String, axle, bearing, box all add up to around $5. Simple, mass anodizing is less than $15.

You’re talking about taking a $120 yoyo to $100. You’re not going to get down to $60 or $80.

The only way for you to really reduce cost is to either scale up, produce overseas, cut out the retailer or accept a lower profit margin.

1 Like

The way I have envisioned this definitely includes a disclaimer. I don’t really think it would be much of an issue, since it’s not really directly competing with finished yoyos.

We’ve discussed this before and added up the cost of the extras but I don’t think that’s the whole picture. I think the hidden value is in the time. Anno costs $15, but anno also costs time. That’s worth something in manufacturing because you could be spending that time doing something else that’s profitable. Same goes with boxes, and any other process that requires any form of logistics.

So, anno might cut $15…but in the interest of easily selling off some B grades, you might be able to drop $20 because you didn’t have to do anything. Profit margin is ultimately lower per yoyo, but that can be justified by your having spent significantly less time and probably selling product faster. I also see completely finished B grades in $60-90 range, so this seems somewhat attainable to me.

1 Like

I agree that time is money, but the key thing to keep in mind here is timing.

The typical production process is:

1. Machine halves
  2. Anodize
  3. Add response and assemble
  4. Test for vibe and ano flaws
  5. Sort A-grades and B-grades
  6. Package and sell

You only know if the halves are B-grade after testing, ano and assembly. (I suppose you could put in response right after machining, but you’d just have to take it out again and put it back in after anodizing. That would be a little silly.) Also, doing this would only catch vibey b-grades… you’d have to cull another batch of b-grades after anodizing for ano flaws.

Companies hope to produce as many A-grades as possible because they have the highest profit margins. B-grades are an unfortunate side product of poor anodizing or imperfect manufacturing/assembly resulting in vibe.

An “Assemble yourself” yoyo isn’t really a b-grade product, because you don’t know if they’re b-grades yet. In fact, you will likely be shortchanging yourself profit because you’re likely taking perfectly fine a-grade units off the production process early and selling them at a deep discount.

I would have never advocated for pulling possible A grades for this purpose. This is a by-product thing, in my mind. You also wouldn’t need a response to test for vibe off the production line, at least for the purposes of this product which assumes some imperfection.

I’m not saying it’s the obvious choice. It’s obviously not or else it would be common. But, I think it’s possible and I think people would buy it. And honestly, even if it were just $130 to maybe $90, I’d probably still do it sometimes.

Make the one thing the market doesn’t have. An undersized, competition-shaped, side-effect equipped throw with awesome splashes. Seems so obvious, and yet it’s just not out there. The Dietz and Anti-Yos just don’t quite do it for me. I think there’s a real untapped market. The Supra is one of my favorite undersized throws of all time, something like a Supra, with a step or two in the profile, side effects, just amazing. Depending on cost some colored matching side effects lasered with the G2 logo kind of the like the Anti-Yo heart SEs would be amazing.

Another cool thing would be an undersized SE throw with the undercut we’ve been seeing a lot of.

I really dont see any reason for G2 to go undersized or make a budge throw. I think that right now G2 needs to focus on making long spinning competition throws. G2 is still a fairly new company, and has only produced 2 yoyos. This means they do not have as much publicity as the other long running companies. I dont think its a smart move for this company to make a budget throw RIGHT NOW. maybe in the near future, after this company has made more yoyos and grown. The Albatross is such an original and organic shape and plays amazing. I havent tried a nessie but they look great. Keep on the same path your going on and this company will go far. I think you guys should make a thick rimmed completly V shaped yoyo. Keep up the good work and have a great holiday season!

The reason for doing an undersized throw is that they already have 2 of the best full size and midsize throws available. I don’t actually see a reason to make another yoyo that competes with either of these, at least not immediately, because these two models are still totally viable.

G2 is very young, and they’re still surprising us with what they can do. I think treading new ground right now is a must. They’re 2/2 so far. I’d hate for the next model to be a case of, “Well, it’s great, but I liked the Albatross better”.

An undersized throw with side effects would be amazing, you doing an undersized throw in general would be awesome! I’m talking around 50-51 mm

So an undersized throw can’t be a competition throw? Someone should tell Takahiro Iizuka that so he’ll stop competing with a 48mm throw.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqVVaF96scI

Also making a big V-shaped yoyo or another similar to what they’ve made isn’t going to bring something new to the market. Just in the last few months we’ve seen the Victory, Wraith, and Chupacabra come out. The whole point is to fill a niche, and i think undersized, SE, V-shaped is a very untapped market. Look how popular yoyos like the Messiah, 6, Supra, Trident, etc. are. I agree budget isn’t the direction to take, but as has been said in this thread budget isn’t really possible anyway.

May I ask what throw that 48mm just happens to be? :]

Yoyorecreation 6. Best undersized i’ve ever played.