G2 model questions

So I have a couple of questions regarding G2’s model history:

1. What are G2’s bi-metal models?
  • Elite
  • Banshee SS
  • ???
  1. Is the Pelican related to the Elite in any way?

2. What are G2’s titanium models?

• TiHawk
  • TiBanshee
  • ???
2 Likes

I’m pretty sure the OG Elite, 2018 Elite, and Banshee SS are the only bimetal models. @G2_Jake

1 Like

Pretty sure the CF003 is a bi also

4 Likes

Whoops 100% forgot about that! There’s one sitting in my case too… :sweat:

1 Like

There is another bimetal proto that he had talked about, I played Nate’s and really liked it

3 Likes

Yeah, I thought Jake had mentioned a new bi-metal for 2019, but it hasn’t materialized yet, right?

2 Likes

I think the “other” bimetal proto that’s been floating around has been referred to as “project A”, but it hasn’t had a full release yet. From what I understand it’s more competition-oriented than the Elite but it’s not based off any other design like the Banshee SS. I think it’ll be the 2020 bimetal~

Also, just for what it’s worth there’s the OG Elite, Elite '18, brass variant, and AL7 variant – they all play a little bit different so I kinda consider them separate models :blush:
But as far as I know there have only ever been the two titanium models.

7 Likes

Oh right! Brass ringed Elite. I forgot about that.

I don’t think I was aware of an AL7 Elite. When was that released?

1 Like

The retirement Elites in November ‘18 were AL7.

3 Likes

Yeah, from when I played it it did feel heavier and more comp-oriented than the Elite, if anyone is wondering this what it looks like

Photo by @g2nate84 on instagram

7 Likes

The Elite is very light, but that is also one of its virtues, in my view. If I recall correctly, Jake described the Elite as his notion of the ideal bi-metal, at the time. I love the way it plays, and I’m a little surprised it doesn’t get more attention.

But I guess the needs of competition play have driven yoyo design in a slightly different direction, and so now we have the “Project A”. It certainly has me intrigued, but there hasn’t been much said about it for a year, and I’m not sure what to make of that.

1 Like

The AL7 Elite I got was from the first AL7 release, “Dark Side” for May the 4th in 2018. I think he did some red ones as well but not too many more, they were pretty limited – more limited than the brass-ringed for sure.

IMO the Elite and every variation are awesome, I can see how they wouldn’t be for everyone but it’s personally my favorite bimetal overall. Not the best-performing, just my favorite ~
I haven’t played the OG though, only the 2018 variants.

Personally I’m not super interested in the Project A, I don’t really like competition-oriented yoyos for the most part and I think the Elite is pretty much the perfect bimetal. I’m not sure if it’s still being prototyped or if Jake has moved on to other projects but it might still happen next year!

2 Likes

Between the brass-ringed Elite and the AL7 Elite, which is the more “interesting” to play/have? I’ve got one spot left in my G2 collection case and would love to put one of those Elite variants in that spot, but am not sure which one is distinct enough from a regular Elite '18 to make it the best choice for that final spot in the collection.

1 Like

Hmm. Well it’s largely personal preference. Brass rings is an extra +2g (ish) in the rim, AL7 is +2g (ish) in the body. So the brass has a bit more power and stability feeling to it, the AL7 seems to have more float and more chillness to it – not as fast as the 6061/SS Elite but not as powerful as the brass. Both have more “uhmph” than the standard Elite though, for lack of a better word. (edit: more presence on the string is probably what I’m trying to say)

So personally I think the AL7 is more interesting, but the brass is a tid bit more capable. If I had to keep one I’d keep the AL7 since there are plenty of other rim-heavy bimetals out there, AL7 is a really nice balance IMO. Would largely be based on your personal taste though!
I have all three and like them all for what they offer. It’s a great series! I really should get an OG Elite…

5 Likes

I was the opposite. I enjoyed the brass the most. The AL7 just didn’t resonate with me, and ironically the reason I didn’t like it as much was because it felt heavier and more solid on the string
And you’re right about the brass feeling more powerful, but I think it’s worth noting that it feels the most powerful out of the Elite lineup and not “powerful” on the bimetal spectrum. All of the Elites have a more graceful presence on the string than your typical bimetal, imo

3 Likes

Sorry for the delay in seeing this. Looks like most everything got answered?

2 Likes

@G2_Jake I don’t think we talked about the Pelican – I don’t remember where I saw it, but wasn’t it originally designed to be a kind of monometal take on the OG Elite? or am I misremembering?

2 Likes

Originally but once we added the weight to it, it didn’t play the same. Very similar catch zone though

4 Likes

Ah okay good to know! I bet a ~62g monometal would be really tricky to make so that it feels normal on the string.
While you’re here on the topic though, do you have any plans for the Project A? @G2_Jake

2 Likes

Yep. Should have 1 drop before Christmas

5 Likes