Fun Round-shaped Organic Similar to Metal Drifter?

Okay, so this is quite a niche and nostalgia fueled question to ask, but I was really itching to get a bell-shaped or generally really round organic on the slightly smaller/medium side. Not sure if I’m just better off getting a Freehand AL or something, or if there are better options.

My first yoyo as a kid was a Duncan Metal Drifter (second run) and I wanted something reminiscent to that experience. (for context, the Metal Drifter is 52.6mm diameter, 39.3mm wide, I don’t need something AS small but smaller side is ideal). Honestly if nothing else fits the bill, I’d be happy to get the new Size C version of it, but figured I would see if there were any similar/better alternatives!

Quite nimble, super round and generally just fun (I might mostly use it for 5a, but the gist being the shape/nimble nature). I essentially wanted something a little floaty and light. Not entirely focusing on competitive, as long as it throws well and is fun!

I was eyeing the Plastic 000 for the shape and value, since the Plastic Peak seems less worth the price increase, but are there any recommendations you guys would have in the $20-75 range? :thinking: Mostly curious honestly, as I wanted to see if any options came up that I wasn’t aware of to add to the wishlist! Appreciate any help that comes! :slight_smile: :grin:

3 Likes

the one drop panorama is really nice in this category if you can find one and don’t mind the $60~70 price, im sure the others on here will also have good recommendations as smaller organics are quite popular on here

2 Likes

When I read “super round” and “fun”, the first thing I think of is the Oasis from Dressel Design:

It’s a stainless steel d-bearing and ~5mm wider than the Metal Drifter, but imho it’s an absoluteley pure joy to play and feels super comfy in the hand and on catch. But you’d probably have to look around on the bst-market…

3 Likes

I was in this same exact position as you. Literally. Exactly the same. The drifter was my first metal yo-yo in 2010.

When I left the hobby for a 10 year break. Came back almost two years ago and that metal drifter was one of three yo-yos that remained from before I don’t know what happened to the rest. It was the drifter a velocity and myy n8. So those are the three I played the most in those first few months. But the drifter was the funnest. Eventually the friction stickers wore out and it became unplayable. I started buying new stuff and built the collection I have now. But several months back I was itching to find sonething similar to the drifter like u. But I can tell u right now that the feeling ur after, that light nimble smooth feeling that can only be felt on the drifter with its small bearing and satin raw finish compact butterfly shape. There’s literally nothing that around that can capture that exact feeling or anything close imo. What I ended up doing was just buying the new c bearing version. The yo-yo came and was awesome at first but right away I noticed the string was fraying super crazy around the bearing. And spin time would fizzle out. After inspection I saw that the bearing seat was a little too sharp. And ripping the string. At that point I wasn’t as experienced as I am now and wasn’t totally comfortable trying to sand it myself to fix it. I messaged yoyoexoert and they said I could send the yo-yo back and they would inspect and see if they could fix. But honestly I wasn’t trying to wait for all that. I was hoping they’d offer to replace it immediately. I would’ve still sent mine back of course but didn’t have the patience to just send it back and wait for a response and go from there. So idk if that was a fluke or something that might be an issue from that run. Hopefully just a fluke. I did eventually plan on ordering another one since they’re so cheap. Honestly if it wasn’t for that issue, I would say that’s one of the best deals on the entire internet for a monometal yo-yo. That yo-yo is so fun and totally has a unique feel by todays standards and I’d recommend everyone pick one just cuz they’re so cheap and a bunch still available. But anyway sorry for the rant. But if that’s what ur after I say just order the c bearing one.

There’s tons of other great organic I can recommend that are similar size but none will have that feeling ur looking for. But they will have their own awesome unique feeling.

2 Likes

Played one of these today and it was awesome!

2 Likes

I appreciate the super detailed reply! Glad to know I’m not the only one in this position :stuck_out_tongue:
I have to say, overall I might just snag the new C version since this is purely for nostalgia chasing and I have lots of other throws for performance. Thanks again!

1 Like

Ooooh, definitely going to keep an eye out for this one, appreciate the recc <3

1 Like

Awesome, I’ll look into the Panorama fs! Will fit in nice with my couple of other ODs. <3 Appreciate the reply!

1 Like

One Drop Nitro is like a premium Drifter kinda.

1 Like

Will look into it! Appreciate it :smiley:

I’ll second/third some of those mentioned—Panorama or Diorama, Oasis, and I’ll throw in a new one—Throwback Tricks Arcade. It’s pretty simple and cheap, but after a few years, I came back to it and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it, especially after quite a few other throws. Not an often recommended throw, but I really like it. The others, though, are slam dunks.

1 Like

Another great yoyo for me to look in to, thanks again! Quite spoiled for choice now heh

gonna give another vote to panorama. it’s my favorite yoyo. you can also mod a set of side effects to play it responsive with a half c bearing.

also, metal drifters are still available for $25 with a cw. my buddy that i just got into the hobby grabbed one and i never played one before, but that one was really fun and durable. he’s continually thrown it into his garage floor and it still plays fine

2 Likes

Yep! I know they’re still available, but since modding my original one isn’t really the most viable solution, I was seeing what options I had instead of getting the new one.

Definitely considering a Panorama now!

1 Like

if you’re looking for a smaller organic yoyo, the G2 Decade can likely be found around your budget. its a really fun undersized yoyo, 52.4mm x 40.8mm, 61.8g. its a wonderful little yoyo

3 Likes

Restock coming soon-ish!

4 Likes