Frustrating Elements

There’s this certain element in the tricks I’ve been learning lately that seem to all have this similar element that seems so simple yet always gives me trouble. It’s when you come off the string with a short amount of string and do a miniature pinwheel type motion around your finger and then come back on the string. I can think of multiple tricks that I have been working on lately: White Buddha, Cheese Whip, Bonesplint, and this other trick without a name I saw on YouTube. It looks so damn easy, but it always hangs me up. The one in bonesplint I stumbled on today, but luckily it hasn’t been as bad as some of the others. I just wanted to air my frustration for this type of element. Any other frustrating elements for you guys out there?

3 Likes

This is the move you’re talking about correct?

Yeah chopsticks stuff is frustrating to me also 2a basic loops sometimes bc it’s hard and mechanical and you gotta have it just right every time

5 Likes

Yep that’s it. Like that part in the boingy boingy side mount combo I showed you that was hanging me up. I actually really haven’t messed with chopsticks at all yet. Kinda been putting it off.

1 Like

Yeah that’s a funky move. it’s the same movement as if you were to roll from DoN to submount, but you don’t hit the top string. Thinking of it that way helped me . Chopsticks stuff…imma get there lol I just have to prepare myself mentally so much like I casing have the mindless fluency I want

1 Like

Redirects used to stump me for the longest time until this video saved my life:

5 Likes

Any type of whip/laceration off a rejection.

It feels like a roll of the dice if you:

get the string out of the gap but it doesn’t have enough force to go around

the string doesn’t leave the gap, and you’ve tilted the yoyo to the point where it’s about to UFO

you get the whip to form with enough power to go where it needs to, but miss the gap/catching the whip

you actually land it

6 Likes

You posting this vid just saved my life like this video is super super helpful I’ve never seen it before and haven’t been able to understand what’s happening w redirects like I got a couple random redirects I figured out but I didn’t know why or what’s happening. Definitely about to try these practice exercises later.

Also I add rejection whips to my list too for all the reasons @mable said. Like I had to set aside 3 or 4 tricks I was learning aside recently bc I just got too frustrated with the rejections and the string going around to catch the Yoyo…it’s such tight timing and feel and it feels like I get so close but can’t lock in any consistency at all

3 Likes

There’s a treasure trove of control exercises on his channel that I found very helpful, especially because the first handful of videos go over concepts and the later videos show applications of the concepts in more standard tricks

2 Likes

This is really a great list of yoyo exercises.

Thank you

This is the entire play list. 11 videos to work on. Not all 11 are yoyo drills but i think they are just as important honestly.

2 Likes

I actually been wanting to work on how to make tricks look cleaner. I never seen this series. It’s exactly what I been looking for.

1 Like

That sounds like a recipe for frustration lol.

Beef hook counts for this right? If so I can relate lol

3 Likes

beef hook doesn’t have a rejection, here’s a beef hookish type trick from a rejection, although this is on the easier end of the spectrum

Here’s a more difficult one (the rejection at 46 seconds, another at 1:12)

4 Likes

@mable did you end up learning this rejection? I need help :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hah glad this got bumped. I amend my answer bc chopsticks and rejections/ rejection whips are comfortable now.

2a still Uber frustrating. Now the most frustrating things for me are like, big lacerations, or elements that have a bunch of things to do all at once and gravity is in play so you have to fully commit or fail. Stuff like takeshi bounce but not that trick specifically. Also slack slap back type elements are more frustrating than they should be.

@zunedude5 which of those tuts were giving you problems and what’s going wrong?

The second one, its just hard to tell in the video exactly what is happening. I have the string in the right spot (I think) but when I reject it doesnt go all the way around. I can send you a video tomorrow

1 Like

Yah send a vid tomorrow :call_me_hand:

Edit:

Here is that element in slow motion. I hadn’t learned this exact rejection but I like these kind of elements and added it to my yocab.
A couple things I noticed—
—it’s helpful to do either a full pinch or half pinch between nth index and middle. You can see the player in the tut crossing index over middle which is a pretty clear indicator they’re pinching or half pinching. The pinch isn’t 100% necessary but definitely helps at first.
—make sure you are uncrossing and landing the Yoyo back onto the string that rejects like the string goes around from the left side of the Yoyo to the right. From your view.
—hangtime is important like if you don’t hop the Yoyo up as you reject, you’re not going to have enough time for the string to go all the way around.
—also this move requires commitment like you need to give a strong tug with th thumb to get the rejection to really pop all the way around and be ready to hit the gap when it does.

1 Like

Dude, thank you! I will dm you a video of me trying and you can probably assist that way. Thanks so much man

1 Like