Freehand difference? (For 5AMay)

What’s the differences between the Duncan freehands?
I wanted to get a nice cheap durable yoyo for 5A, and the freehand(s) came across my mind. But what’s the difference between the freehand, freehand 1, freehand 2, freehand pro and freehand nextgen??
I just wanted to make the right choice in choosing lol

If you want a cheap and durable yoyo for 5A get any 30 dollar metal yoyo, or alternatively an even cheaper metal magicyoyo or something.

Freehand Pro is an unresponsive plastic yoyo if absolutely want to get a Freehand. But you’re more likely to crack and break plastic yoyos than you’ll be to break a metal yoyo.

The newer Freehand Ones are responsive and small bearing, but also having thinner diameter axles, not shorter length, that have been known to snap just from people screwing them together too tight. I wouldn’t trust them for 5A if you’re going to be dropping your yoyo a lot. Not to mention the high wall, small bearing design is also just going to make it harder to play.

They may be named the freehand, but that’s more of a legacy thing, than a modern declaration of “this is an ideal yoyo to play 5A with.”

Just get a cheap metal yoyo if you’re looking for something durable to play 5A with. Get a Freehand Pro if really want a Freehand to play 5A with.

5 Likes

I agree with this. If you’re set on a Freehand model, NextGen is probably the most beginner friendly although it’s also out of stock on YYE.

I got a Duncan Roadrunner for $20 on sale and that’s been my main dedicated 5A throw ever since. I recommend that or something similar. Under $30, metal, and a wide open gap for easier catches.

4 Likes

Magicyoyo has some great options for less than you would pay for most freehands. I have a node set up with one of the cheaper porykons (I think it’s the v or v dash idk) that’s pretty nice and I don’t have to worry about dings or a bent axle since I paid like $12 for it

Yeah I have a v6 locus, I’ll just drill a hole through a dice and call it good even if it’s not the widest

I have a couple of freehand models i am sacrificing to the 5A gods.

I agree plastic is not the way to go overall, so i am mostly using these to practice outside in grass.

First, here is a picture of my freehands.

Top is a Freehand One Neo. I LOVE this yoyo, so no way it gets put to 5A. Its more organic shaped and the only one I like for stalls. Its still a bit inconsistent with them but its the best of the bunch IMO.

Second is the green one. Its a freehand but not sure which model. It is terrible for stalls but it was like $12 when I got it. So im sacrificing it. The shape is a lot more like the freehand pro shape (more angular). Its responsive but in hoping to break it enough for it to go unresponsive.

The bottom one the translucent green is a Freehand Pro. I put some duncan weight rings on it to make it spin better, and it has my set of double dice. The FHP is unresponsive but i really do feel the weight rings make the yoyo. Worthy of sacrifice!

All of these will be getting new UV reactive weight rings soon so im pretty excited about that. But I dont exactly expect the ones I am willing to use for 5A to survive unscathed lol.

This second picture is the yoyos in line to be my sacrificial lambs to the 5A gods.

I got the YYF happy holidays yoyo for free as an add in to my christmas order. I like that yoyo but want a slimmer responsive that I can stall to try 5A on, so this is the one.

I am planning to eventually use this Recluse for 5A eventually. I was considering using my MagicYoyo Sharks Honor instead, but I have two so I am going to save it for eventual 3A practice instead and roll with a 5A recluse.

But im holding off on metal 5A personally until i develop my skills with the plastics first. I agree metal is the way to go but thats why I am just playing on grass for 5A practice with the freehands. Id hate to bash up my recluse for lack of skill, especially if it goes flying out of my hand inside my house lol. Im not so much worried about the yoyo (even if i dont want to beat it up) as I am about all my fancy electronics and floor lol.

2 Likes

Thank you for all the advice!
Is there anything I should know about counterweights? Is a dice with a hole drilled through it good enough?

I think so but im a beginner too, so im just learning as I go myself.

Another thing I learned is that you can do double dice style with two dice (duh), but those are smaller dice not two of the regular sized dice.

I just got my dice with my freehands, and my double dice setup is duncan as well, to just make things easy for myself for now.

@JeiCheetah has a whole series of tutorial videos online ive been watching to learn some fundamentals. He talks about counterweights in this one.

2 Likes