Flow

“When searching for an activity, psychologists recommend finding an optimal amount of ease and challenge, called flow. In essence, flow means getting into a groove, like a runner’s high or hitting a tennis ball back and forth. It demands more skill and agility than tedious tasks, but at a low enough intensity that you reap the mental reward of accomplishment.”

(Sorry if this is in the wrong section).

Saw this while looking up solutions for boredom. It’s like exactly how I feel with yoyoing. It’s proven. Yoyoing is the ultimate cure of boredom.

This video has a nice little tid bit about “flow”.

Roundabout, 5:45

That was pretty cool, actually. Thanks.

Flow is definitely real in my opinion. I often experience it with yoyoing, and trying to get into it is one of the biggest reasons I throw in the first place. Doesn’t always work, but sometimes I just fall into that groove. Those are the times when I play my best, when I come up with new ways to play, and when I see a bit of my own style starting to form. Personally, I think the biggest advantage to the zone is that I’m not afraid to or concerned about failing. I’m not even thinking in a mode where failure is possible. I’m just doing.

I’ve also done a bit of racing (cars and karts) in my day, and “the zone” is your best friend there. Sometimes you’ll look back at the last few laps or even the entire race and realize that you don’t even remember it. Thousands of tiny little adjustments you’re making all the time, and you can’t even recall doing any of it. You weren’t even thinking about it, almost as if you could see yourself taking the next turn before you even got there.

I understand exactly what you mean. A few days ago, I went into my room, turned on my lamp, took out my Sasquatch, and threw. I remember it was the best yoyoing session of my life. I felt like my combos were just happening, pouring out of me. It lasted about 5 minutes, with multiple regens. When I finally caught it, I stopped for a second and couldn’t really remember what exactly I had done.

The hard thing for me is getting into that flow on command. Like when I need to film, and I’m just not quite in it. Or when I’m yoyoing in front of people, and can’t focus. But sometimes, I hit that sweet spot, and wish it wouldn’t end.