Fixed Axle February 2016

Been dreaming about hitting fixed Tre-Flips since right after I saw Drew do his 1st Kickflips.
That’s about how long it took for me to figure em out!

2 Likes

I can’t really figure out 360 flip on a yoyo. I mean on either skateboard or kendama I can figure out which part goes where pretty easily, but yoyos are “round-symmetrical” (not sure if that’s English). Since one of the axis is the rotating axis, therefore 360 flip is just the same as diagonal kickflip ???

Right. It’s really hard. Since it’s a circle, even the idea of “diagonal” is kind of irrelevant. So what it becomes is a sequence of Flips (parallel to axle) and Varials (perpendicular to axle). A 360 flip on a yoyo is basically Varial-Flip-Varial-Flip, with each step being a half rotation. When you hit it right, it feels VERY different from either a tilted Kickflip or any kind of Varial.

I had this same trouble with some wood, fixed axled yoyos. It was recommended to me that you get your hands on some Burt’s Bees lip balm. Put it generously on the end of the string (that makes contact with the axle obviously) before putting the string on the yoyo. It will stay responsive for a good long time. Good luck!

I am stymied with just a stall so a flip really impresses me.

Tambourine wax also works well.

I think I’m starting to get it in my head. Time to try…