FIXED AXLE CHALLENGE: Round VI

I believe he said it is a modded FHZ

1 Like

This trick… this trick… :frowning:

Any tips on the first pop?

loose tension and try to not allow the yoyo come too lose with the pop… try to pop high. It took me a couple of days of attempts to get the feel… it involves muscle memory for me… just keep at it man.

2 Likes

I may have to post a video soon of me trying these challenges…to the tune of the Benny Hill theme. I’m so bad at this! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: though I’m still having fun.

I might fail in this one… I just can’t get past the first pop.
edit: Alright I guess this is the end for me, I can’t even do the whole trick on a regular speeder.

I hit it once and then I missed the loop at the end.

the loop out is no joke, and it’s there for a reason (albeit a frustrating one).

those of you who weren’t still playing pokemon 10 years ago (ok, even those of us pushing 40 were) will remember the old world yoyo contest compulsories. a lot of people hated those tricks and that system because it could eliminate some of our strongest performers/competitors on the basis of a single arbitrary trick element. cheese-whip spirit bomb was one of those compulsory tricks, and while those guys weren’t doing it on fixed, most players still had to negotiate very high response back then.

the loop out pays homage to the days when binding was still a controversial and polarizing issue in the yoyo world, and requires that you have enough power in your throw to make it but also precise enough technique to get through the trick.

in 2007 or so, a bunch of players joined a totally informal, bragging-rights “no jive spirit bomb club” just to see if they could hit it. i remember adam (as well as brandon jackson, yuuki, tyler and danny severance, red, and andre) did it first try. you just CAN’T do that if you didn’t learn to play responsive - in some ways it’s harder on an aggressive bearing yo-yo. if you can do it on any fixed axle, particularly with the loop out, it’s a trick to be proud of.

good luck guys.

3 Likes

Well I remember as a beginner learning spirit bomb but never understand the pop, like which string goes where, so I forgot it altogether.
Now it bites back, hard.
I MIGHT hit it if I went crazy in this last 11 hours, but it will totally be luck.

Ed, as part of the pushing 40 crew, I truly appreciate your words and your kindness to us all.

The spirit bomb club is small, the fixed spirit bomb smaller, and now I have a goal to join the No-Jive Spirit Bomb club…

With that said, I will take my Play Simply No-Jive and Fidalgo on my 2 upcoming trips… will have limited access to email through NEXT weekend… so unless Ed throws me another layup, like this Round Seis, and for that matter Ocho needs to be simple enough (at least for me) also to record within a few tries, I MAY be bowing out due to no time to throw…

This has been a great contest and we need to do this again!

ditto Berto!

Starting Sunday, I’m going on a trip for a week and will have limited cell-phone reception, so even if I pass the next round or two, I might be bowing out sooner rather than later.

Also Ed, I think you might be remembering wrong, because I’m 99% sure I definitely did NOT hit Spirit Bomb on the No-Jive in front of you first try… not by a long shot.

but I appreciate the hagiography! :wink:

maybe you did superman first try. or kamikaze. you and bojack hit SOMETHING crazy straight away on the street outside our tiny hotel in manhattan. i’ll grant you i tend to only remember the hits and not so much the misses. tyler, yuuki, and red were DEFINITELY first try though.

I’ve hit Spirit Bomb on my No-Jive a couple times, but without the loop part…

I’ll try that next!

This is as far as I can do
www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbFl0MPblJM

Gonna try recording again once the batteries are done charging, go big or go home.

This was so me.
Kept it up! You can do it!

This will be the end for me as well, I cannot get past the first pop. Good luck to all of the other competators who have made it this far

Man! This contest has been fun! I came so close to making this one but just couldn’t get it perfect on camera. And now I have to go off to work. Great job everybody! You’re all winners!

I really thought this wasn’t going to happen.  But it finally did!

5 Likes

So far only 5 people?

awesome! so a couple guys are taking their (well-earned) bows, a couple are safe, and a couple more are still scrambling. you’ve got just over 2 hours to get em in…

… but i promise the tricks aren’t getting easier from here. <3