FIXED AXLE CHALLENGE!!! ROUND 4..... (!)

if you can, that would be awesome. i’m enlarging to full screen and still can’t quite see the loop, what finger its on (for the non-lunars) or the rotation of the yo-yo. i’m not doubting for a second that you’ve got it down. but between the shirt, string, and shade, i just can’t for the life of me SEE it.

Alright. No problem. I’ll get a new video up soon

Yeah, I love kickflips and suicides. That’s the majority of the fixed axle stuff I’ve been doing this past year.

word up! now that things are getting interesting, even if you’re out of competition, feel free to post these tricks up here regardless, just as a “booyah”. i would love to see folks knocking these down just for the fun (and minor glory) of it!

1 Like

Edit:
Here’s a new video that’s more clear and in frame
(And I’m catching with the index)

1 Like

way better. loop is still tough in the air with the black, but better light so i can follow the yo-yo no problem. thanks man. i know it’s a bother to reshoot.

FINALLY the easy stuff.

Right now I’m really having trouble on the double kickflip. Need help, advice, tips.

Like Mr. Nations said, high walls. Good string tension always helps.

Every time I landed one it was a mixture of things: the right amount of momentum starting the kickflip, the right timing and a lot of luck. I’m still working on cleaning up my kickflip to lunar, landed it about 7 or 8 times tonight, though I haven’t had a lot of time to mess with it. While I’m cleaning that up I’m also working on getting the double suicide down at all. I’m gonna cross the dbl. kickflip bridge once I come to it. My trick with this one is going to be constant filming, because for me it’s a lot of luck with the suicide and double kf, so I’m hoping I land it all clean at least once and for that instance to be definitely caught on camera.

Good luck guys!

Here is my redo with a wider and taller angle, I hope this is “passable”.

1 Like

again, man. i’m sure you hit the trick, but SO MUCH of that is either impossible to see or out of the frame! i can make out some of it, but a lot (including the double) is almost entirely obscured by glare and/or out of the shot.

filming is hard, but for a contest like this (and a trick like this) you REALLY have to make sure the shot is right just as much as the trick is right. now that the tricks are getting more significant, i don’t want any possibility of a dispute or have to “make the call” with regard to what should count. slow mo is NOT essential, but the shot should leave no question whether the trick was hit as prescribed.

This round packs a wallop.

Ed, will it be held against me if I didn’t dismount exactly like your video?
I’m probably gonna re-film anyway since I didn’t get a close up of the yoyo…
But I wanted to at least get something in before deadline.

Edit (better safe than sorry):
I don’t look as angry, and you can see the yoyo a bit better, and I have an approved dismount…
Also, it’s apparently magically easier the 2nd time around if you can manage to get it that 1st time…

Using this as my submission instead:

Also, on my lunch break today, I’ll try and film a little tip/trick I figured out during this round that could potentially help some folks the way it helped me.

2 Likes

Honestly… when I first saw this trick I was like, “Sure… I bet many people will fall in this round Ed’s gonna redo with easier challenge”… but everyone are like “This is easy”.

And then there is me…

Any tips for the double kick flip, can’t even get close to a second rotation knees and all :frowning:

Okay, think I can do the double if it’s not “cheating” to get a slight grip on the kick flip loop with my middle finger. This gives a solid spin, not really a pinch more of a steady. :slight_smile: I’ll keep at either way. Good job to those who’ve posted their entry!

you mean when you throw it? as long as you’re not using a thumb-finger pincer, i don’t think i would notice. just make sure you land on the index.

This is exactly what I wanted to blog about, it’s just tough to explain over text!

Check:

Never done an instructional/vlog style video before, but if it helps anyone, then it’s worth it!

7 Likes

Exactly!!! Should help a lot, thanks for the video! Dig the laid back style, if you ever had time for more tuts (in my best office space voice) “that’d be great.” Ha

The only time I had to film this trick was on my break this morning.  Don’t laugh at my hat, I was in a hardhat area.  How’s this look , Ed?

2 Likes