First metal yoyo

I’m planning on buying my first metal (for 1a) and was looking around for models like 888x, dv888, yuuksta, etc, but since I never tried any metal yoyo at all I’d appreciate some help. I can’t really say much about my preferences since I didn’t try many yoyos, but here’s some info on some important parameters:

Weight: I don’t really care about this. I play with both heavy and light yoyos and it doesn’t really matter so anything is good.
Shape: Rounded butterfly or H. Don’t care which one as long as it’s one of those.
Size: Small. I have a DM and don’t really like it because of it’s size.
Response: I don’t really know about this, but as long as it’s not hybrid it’s fine I guess. I want the yoyo to be completely unresponsive (I can add lube, shims and KK to help with this if needed).
Extras: I don’t care about hubstacks or anything like that, but I don’t mind having them either as long as the yoyo is still smooth.
Price: Don’t pick your choices based on this. Whether it costs 20$ or 120$, all it matters is the quality and my preferences. Just don’t pick those really expensive gold/special edition/signature yoyos since I’ll just choose the normal edition over that.

If you need any additional info, let me know.

Thanks in advance.

You might try a YYJ Axiom. It’s very expensive, but it has all the attributes you want a yoyo to have. Or if it’s too expensive, I’d go Dv888. Hope this helped.  :wink:

You can buy a YYJ Axiom here:
http://shop.yoyoexpert.com/product/6/YYJ-Axiom

You can buy a Dv888 here:

1 Like

Check out either a YYF Hectic or a CLYW CampFire.

I’ll get back to you tomorrow and let you know how awesome or crappy the Popstar is. If not, try to get your hands on a Frantic, it doesn’t meet your criteria in the shape department but you never specified if you had tried a really angular shape, it might look painful but I swear to you that it is VERY comfortable in the hand and I have a medium sized hand (medium sized glove that is {no I don’t wear one but I did size myself :P}) Very stable and forgiving on a crooked throw, weight is pushed to the edges, it is an undersized throw and it is a pretty hefty throw. Just a random suggestion.

Honestly based on your stated preferences (thank you very much for including those by the way), from my personal experience all 3 of the ones you mentioned in your original post are great yo-yos and you’d most likely enjoy any one of them. I assume that you mentioned those because they caught your eye, so just choose one of those (whichever looks coolest to you, really). You won’t be disappointed.

Yes, I mentioned those 3 because they have nice looks and I think they fit my preferences. The Axiom and Campfire are also beautiful though. The Hectic and Frantic aren’t an option from where I’m ordering by the way.

Thanks for all the suggestions and feel free to leave some more everyone. I’ll order it in 2 days so I still have these days to think about it.

The only thing I can say about the 888x and the Dv888 since I have never played a Yuuksta (YET :P) is that on a colder day, or a high RPM the 888x seems to be a bit more painful when returning to your hand in comparison to the Dv888. I think ratfacedudeguy has it right though your options are very fitting towards your preferences. If my wife decides to get rid of her Frantic I’ll shoot you a PM in case you are interested. I didn’t take your location into effect when I originally posted, sorry :stuck_out_tongue:

I personally would pick the Dv888 out of the 3 just because they have been restocked with som really awesome colorways but that is just me. I hope whatever you pick is to your liking. :smiley:

Try a YYF Genesis 135, it’s smooth, long spinning, unresponsive, overall a awesome yoyo. It’s one of my favorite yoyos.

yuuksta best throw for the money

superster though it is a little big, you might try the 888x because it is supposedly undersized i know you dont care a botu price but the popstar is also and all metal and and worth it

He said just what I was going to say… and the ones you mentioned would be great too, because, well, you were looking at them and thought they might be good. Maybe look at the tactic, BOSS, lunatic, or things like that based on what you said.

I concur if you do decide on a Popstar it will make you a more accurate player in my opinion because it is so small and picky. If you throw crooked, it WILL tilt on you, so it makes you throw straight. Your precision on hops, whips, slacks are all also called into question, all it takes is one decent mistake and you are in tilt city. It also makes you more smooth because while it is small, if you are jerking the throw around in mid-air and you do it kind of erratically then you will spin out and lose control. All of these factors coupled with an obscenely low price tag of $25 tells me that this is a great yoyo to practice on, it might be frustrating to LEARN with but I definitely have noticed my hops/pop/whips are all getting much cleaner, I can get through my longest combo no problem on it and it fits in my pocket easier than a can of Cope. Just some food for thought :smiley:

Win on this simile

1 Like

i would say yuuksta, just because most begginers like yoyos with really wide catch areas. and because its awesome, but you cant go wrong with the dv888. as for the 888x, its pretty unstable. you can fix that with a kk, but its reeeeeaaaaly smooooooth. but overall, i would recomend the yuuksta :wink:

YYF 888x or YYF Skyline