Fire Resistant String

Shadix your one crazy man if you hurt yourself I have nothing to do with this

Soak string in water, then freeze it. Let it thaw a bit, it may hold agains fire for a few seconds. Ha

I find this will be helpful CTGY&Store_Code=TTE&Category_Code=kevlar-thread-information

:smiley:

Soak a cotton string in water. It doesnā€™t last very long, but itā€™s cheap and it works.

http://www.wawak.com/products/category.cfm?cID=1110Ā  This is what you want

Thanks for the help guys. Iā€™ll keep you guys posted

Cotton is actually fire resistant. Intact, you could soak it in lighter fluid and have it on fire too. THAT would be cool.

Kevlar is fire resistant, as are Nomex, wool and cotton for that matter, but theyā€™re not firePROOF. Kevlar and Nomex canā€™t sustain a flame and donā€™t melt, but they start to char and fall apart around 600-800 F. Cotton and wool are also difficult to make sustain a flame, so theyā€™ll work fine for a one-time experiment, but they lose structural integrity at lower temperatures than Kevlar and Nomex. When you see fire performers working with Kevlar wicks (usually blended with more-absorbent cotton), itā€™s actually the fuel theyā€™re soaked in thatā€™s burning, and only on the surface; the unburnt fuel keeps the wicks below their decomposition temperature and carries off the excess heat.

Iā€™ve made 100% Kevlar strings. Theyā€™re stiff as a wire, and yes, theyā€™ll chew your fingers up much worse than even full-nylon string. Thatā€™s why I said to use spun instead of filament Kevlar and blend it with Nomex - the Nomex is much softer like polyester but almost as heat-resistant as Kevlar, so the blended string will be more flexible and not quite as murderous to your hands.

Although your concept is intriguing as having the potential for a spectacular presentation, the prospect for calamity and personal injury necessitates advising you against attempting such a trick and that it is not something the YoYoExpert website encouraged.

Please carefully weigh the possibilities for disastrous results.

Hereā€™s a fire yoyo that uses kevlar strings:

http://www.thefriendlyfirestore.com/Fire-Yoyo.html

For the mods: Yes I know that link above is to a shop, but itā€™s not a yoyo shop and the only yoyo they sell appears to be no longer available.

Anyone have any idea for fire resistant gloves that wont be to hard to throw in?

I can tell you what I was going to do before: get some of those thin cotton gloves, preferably a tight fit, put them on, and soak them in water. Put a pair of knit Kevlar gloves on over them and proceed to yoyo. The reason I include the wet cotton gloves is because, if any burning fuel splashes on the Kevlar gloves, you want it to go out instead of continuing to burn while itā€™s on your hand.

The Kevlar gloves can be found by Googling ā€œknit kevlar glovesā€ - you donā€™t want to get ones with rubber grips or anything else besides Kevlar (basically anything flammable). Iā€™ve got a pair, and theyā€™re not too bad to yoyo with, but Iā€™ve never tried them with cotton ones underneath. The finer parts of your sense of texture and touch are obviously dampened, which can make slack tricks difficult, but otherwise itā€™s doable.

Thanks man!

You donā€™t want to wear wet cotton gloves. Water conducts heat VERY well. Though it may not catch on fire because its wet, it will burn you badly when you catch the hot aluminum or when you try to wind it up by hand after the yoyo has heated up. Dry leather will protect you better.

IMHO This is not a good idea, I know a few fire dancers and they all have burned themself pretty bad at one time or another. It may look cool but its VERY dangerous and YoYoing itself is already quite impresive on its own.

Be Careful

Yep, I remember trying to pick up a hot cookie sheet with a slightly damp hot pad. I got a nice steam burn.

Hey! I have been making strings for a good amount of time. (Say about a month). I have experimented with metallic string, which is a mixture of nylon and polyester string. My initial thought is that it would melt or mis-shape or just burn. I have also tried making string with a strand of pure copper wire. This however made the string so heavy duty that you couldnā€™t even use it unless the yoyo was maybe five times heavier than mine. I think that your best bet would to use some kind of material, maybe Kevlar, or some other very hardy material. However this may not play very well. Hope I was a help.

Keep Your Spin, Bro

I just read that link to the website with the fire yoyo, and it recommends ā€œa pair of tight fitting, leather palmed gardening gloves from any hardware storeā€, so you might consider that.