Favorite 5A set-ups?

seeing that 5A May is here, I’d like to hear what everyone is using for their 5A set up. Im using a supernova with a yoyofactory spintop button and Duncan FH one AL with a DK Candy Dice.

3 Likes

Right now i’m married with my Exia for 5A, and i’m trying different counterweights. I think my absolute favorite one might be the Porykon Mintear and the Chunkeez Worry Stone so far.

5 Likes

I’m not too surprisingly using an Exia.

Counterweight is a custom chainmail dealie by Mr. Gunter. I am no longer scared of whacking the back of my hand with the C/W, it feels friendly, instead.

This year I’m going to get the trick “Butterfly” down.

5 Likes

Good goal dude! I’m trying to get tanglers down myself. Do the chainmail couterweights ding yoyos any worse than standard counterweights? I always on the lookout for new weights to use.

Do the Duncan old hard plastic dice counterweights damage a aluminum yo-yos finish?

No, I used Duncan dice for many years without damaging ano. You shouldn’t do 5a with a yoyo you don’t wanna hurt though.

6 Likes

This is why I see people above using bi-metals and just shrug. There is no way im playing 5A with an Exia and not ruining it (I like doing combos with tosses thrown in).

Which is why I play with titanium. My absolute favorite 5A setup is a Vayder strung with a Porykon counterweight. Takes a beating like a champ and it doesn’t get gouges like aluminum. Titanium is a high price point for a “beater”, but worth the investment imo.

4 Likes

Wow!! A titanium throw for 5A sounds awesome, i never thought of that.

1 Like

My two favorite setups are a freyja and a galaxy diver both with an unknown square. I really like the grippy texture of 3D printed counterweights. I really want to try one of the dunk bobber counterweights but I haven’t been able to find one for sale yet.

I’ve never really had any issues with damaging my yoyos, I just play over grass/rugs and make sure I have plenty of space around me. When I’m learning brand new stuff I’ll swap to a beater, but for just generally playing I wouldn’t say I’m ever concerned about damaging my yoyos.

2 Likes

My 5A setup reflects my 5A skill: A b-grade shutter that vibes more than my washing machine and a bouncy ball with a hole drilled in it.

4 Likes

Have you tried Chunkeez counterweights yet? If you like the Unknown Square, I bet you’d like them

1 Like

The EZCube XL seems like something I’d enjoy but I really don’t like any of the colors it comes in. :pensive:

The 2x2 also seems kinda comfy but I find the beads kind of a hassle. I like the porykon momiji cube but restringing it is enough of an annoyance that it turns me off of getting more bead counterweights. Maybe some day I’ll bite and order some chunkeez though.

3 Likes

i relate to this immensely.

2 Likes

I got a BiND for $30 from a BST, it’s got a few scratches/dings but plays great. Makes a fantastic 5A yoyo, at least for a newbie like me. 5A is a good reason to pick up yoyos that are already dinged or scuffed, so you can have a nicer throw without being as worried about it.

That said, I actually really like playing 5A with my Skyva with a RCS Raindrop counterweight. That thing can take a besting, and idk there’s something that feels right using a plastic yoyo with a plastic counterweight. I also bought a B-grade Dream from the YYF May sale and I use that with a paracord counterweight I made.

1 Like

Yeah it’s probably good if I stick to plastic for now but I was curious

This with a YoshicudaX

:fire: :fire: :fire:

HEY, AN EXIA!? AAAAAAAAA ( btw im a huge gundam fan)

let’s go to the setup.

Yoyo: Magicyoyo Desperado N5 (With a ds bearing)
Counterweight: Rapid Ball Counterweight
String: Kitty String (Fat)

2 Likes

Since a couple of weeks, i’ve swithced my main CW to a Candy Dice Square Pro.

Its the most comfy bearing dice-shaped CW i’ve tried yet.

5 Likes

I’ve been trying to play double dice bit more so I’ve been leaving this set of doughnuts on my PLUR. I’ve only tried a few double dice sets, but I prefer the size and shape of these over small cubes. I’m not sure if it’s because of their shape or being made out of POM, but they glide along the string so smoothly. I really don’t enjoy playing normal 5A with a double dice set though.

5 Likes