Failed duncan butterfly mod

well this yoyo i got when i was only 11 and it was my second yoyo. i was so bored with it sleeping for 1 second and not being able to do anything with it except keeping it on the shelf. so i decided to play around with it.

first i took it all apart. theres only 5 pieces to the butterfly. the 2 wings the 2 caps and the axle. first i took a roller skate wheel axle and stuck it through the one side. and then i put 5 o rings on one side that i thought would really work a hub stack.(which didn’t actually work at all) and then i tried to put a roller skate bearing on the axle in between the 2 wings. didn’t work. so i thought to just put a roller skate bearing spacer in. so it would still be a fixed axle yoyo. which sort of worked. It comes back up sometimes. and does not sleep at all.

Well, in the long run this yoyo is about the same performance as it was before. i really didn’t lose anything, in fact i feel accomplished that this was my first mod and even though it was a failed mod, i’ll look at that and say I remember my first mod.

That is one massive gap o__o"

it actually looks bigger in pictures than it is in real life. I’ll give u the specs.

diameter: 56mm
width::::: 41mm
gap width:14mm

14mm for a gap. That’s still huge.

i guess its big. but its still a pice of crap :-\

A 14 mm gap is 9 mm bigger than the biggest usable gap. 5mm is just too big for me but it can still work on some yoyo’s.

like the Dv888… but does 14mm even allow the yoyo to come back to your hand?

yeah it does most of the time. and im gonna try again one of these days. im gonna try and put metal shims to give it a little weight and a bearing on. wish me luck!

I hope you learned something from the process.

[b]MOD EDIT: Please refrain from making rude remarks. At least he’s trying.

Thanks
Icthus[/b]

its really not a big deal. the yoyo is like 5 bucks. and im just using the just in my basement. i also don’t care if you think this is ridiculous. i’m doing what I love and i think its cool. so you can leave me alone and leave your yoyos stock

That reminds me of my first yo-yo, the Yoffy. 33mm gap.

Classic Chris. Just classic. :wink:

I’m sorry for being so rude, that came out a lot harsher than I thought. I was being a jerk and I apologize. I do hope that you learned something from the process. Symmetry (both sides of the yoyo being exactly the same) and balance are everything in yoyos otherwise they’re going to tilt or worse. Sometimes wider gaps are desirable but there is a limit. At 14 mm, if it had a bearing in it you’d practically need a rope on it to get it to return. Stick with it, learn from the experiments that don’t work and future mods will be even better.

I’m sorry for being so rude, that came out a lot harsher than I thought. I was being a jerk and I apologize. I do hope that you learned something from the process. Symmetry (both sides of the yoyo being exactly the same) and balance are everything in yoyos otherwise they’re going to tilt or worse. Sometimes wider gaps are desirable but there is a limit. At 14 mm, if it had a bearing in it you’d practically need a rope on it to get it to return. Stick with it, learn from the experiments that don’t work and future mods will be even better.
[/quote]
actually you would not need a rope for it to come back up. it comes back up fine. Plus i have these foam sticky pads that im gonna put friction stickers on. so it will actually be ok. its not unbalanced at all . gives me a good throw all the time.