Every Kid should have a yoyo

This has been a busy ski week, lots of ski instruction, meeting new people, and just amazing fun. One day I was yoyoing before my clients arrived and some kids saw me. They came over, watched, asked questions and commented. It just so happened I was playing with a homemade responsive, nothing special, so I gave it to them. A few days later they returned with the yoyo asked more questions, like how to put a string on it, said they’d been having a blast with it. So I gave them another yoyo of the same type that I had brought with me.

A girl in the group suggested that every kid should have a yoyo. Smart! I have a new goal now. Throughout this year I’m going to attempt to make enough yoyos to give to all the kids I instruct.

Wish me luck, it’s going to be a wild ride!

37 Likes

Cool goal man, best of luck on your quest!

I’d love to see the YoYos you’ll be giving away.

6 Likes

Very cool of you man! What a great memory this will make for some of the kids!

4 Likes

Can we get a look at your homemade yo-yo?

I keep a handful of cheaper responsives around to give away. Their faces light up! Its great to see that.

4 Likes

Wow man. That’s really cool. Good luck.

1 Like

Best idea and all those happy faces you get to see each and every time!!

2 Likes

Nice! please show me a yoyo you have made.

I also give them away to kids all the time. Also, if any of my BST sales don’t sell, they usually go to kids too.

8 Likes

Yeah you see that’s beautiful.

2 Likes

I love when people actually care like that.

3 Likes

This was a good idea but I think I may need to wait until next season to make it happen. I just haven’t had the time to make a bunch of yoyos. I’m finding it almost impossible to get into the woodshop. I’ve just been giving the kids the plastics I have on hand.

Oh well…

3 Likes

Gotten a few pm’s about the number of yoyos given away. For those interested, around 38 given to kids so far.(To bad so sad if you are an adult hahahha.)

2 Likes

It’s a great thing you are doing. Some of those kids may stick with it or come back to it at the perfect time in their life. You’re the Johnny Appleseed of Yoyo!

1 Like

I’m 60, and when you hit 60 you start thinking of end of life things. One thing I have thought of is at my funeral I want my yoyo collection to be dispersed among the attendees.

4 Likes

Funeral? I’m having no funeral because I’m out living everyone! That’s why giving yoyos away now is the only option. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

If you don’t stop living, you’ll never die; that’s my philosophy anyway. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Update: I’ve bitten off way more than I can handle. What was I thinking! By the end of the day after teaching, free skiing and training, I’m beat! I just don’t have the energy to make yoyos. I have a few more plastics that I am willing to part with but after that…I think my plan is on hold until next season. Kind of a bummer, but at least many more yoyos are in the hands of kids.

This summer I’ll make a bunch of yoyos, at least that’s my current plan.

Oh well, it is what it is.

3 Likes

Can we have a picture of one of these yoyos you make?

I have given them all away and don’t usually take pictures of things I make. However, sometime after ski season when I have the time to turn some more I’ll gladly take pics and share them.

2 Likes