Ever hit someone while yoyoing?

Smart dog!

One of my dogs literally ran into my yoyo when I first started. He stopped and wagged his tail as if to play. He does not try to avoid my yoyo to this day. I walk the dog along his body every once in a while though.

It was 100% your fault.

The only person Iā€™ve hit is myself. Iā€™ve hit my dog a couple times while he was running around like a lunatic and ran into a yoyo as it was going into a break away. Once when he was standing next to me and I missed a suicide so now I just donā€™t do anything that I can accidentally miss/drop when he is by me. Iā€™m very careful around him but he is like a runaway train so once in a while he gets smacked.

4 Likes

Shame on you. Your thinking ā€œIt was his fault 100% since there was enough room in the square for me and him so he wouldnā€™t even have to be close to me but instead he decided to be rude and got a pain for it. lets hope he learned his lesson.ā€ could not be more incorrect. Whenever we choose to throw in a public place it is 100% OUR responsibility that everyone around us remain safe at all times. If someone walks into the space we are throwing in it immediately becomes our responsibility to make sure the area becomes safe for them to pass, not theirs to duck clear of a flying yo-yo. None of us are granted the right to throw where ever and when ever we choose. If you can not guarantee everyone around you will remain completely safe at all times while youā€™re yo-yoing then you are throwing in the wrong place at the wrong time. The whole world is not our stage and it is no oneā€™s obligation to grant us space to perform in the public square. Grocery stores, big box stores, or even the mall are not appropriate venues for yo-yoing no matter how much we might believe others there might be enjoying our routine.

You were the one who was rude, and incredibly so I might add. It would be my hope it would have been you who walked away from this incident learning a lesson.

6 Likes

I donā€™t wanna talk about itā€¦ Letā€™s just say it involved a counterweight, a dog, and a skateboardā€¦

My dog is like that too, he used to try to bite my yoyos and actually scratched my Ronin like that.

No, I never hit anyone while throwing. I got hit though, with a fixed axle, in the boney part of the back of my hand. When yo-yoers stand around talking among themselves, they often throw and talk at the same time. Due to standing around in a cluster, when someone throws, the yo-yo is likely to hit another person, or you might clash throws and get double dings.

I agree that we should watch where we throw, consider our surroundings, and not get caught up in the selfishness of wanting to throw. But, I realize that accidents can happen. My incident was at a yo-yo event, so it was all good. At a yo-yo event, people should still be considerate, but at least we all know there will be flying objects in the room. That is not the case in a lot of public places. So, I can understand why a non-thrower would expect more consideration, and in the event of any accident, they should expect a very sincere apology.

3 Likes

haha i know that shiz though, me and ceiling fans do not get along anymore XD

I just want to echo what many others have said.

Iā€™ve nailed myself on the head twice (both with small looping yo-yos of 45 grams though, thank God).

I have never even come close to hitting someone else. I agree that itā€™s a yo-yoerā€™s responsibility to be aware of their surroundings.

I was at the bar last week and I was doing some tricks for my friends. There were some kids in the corner that apparently were watching me and my friends said they were clapping and cheering. I hadnā€™t seen them though.

When I became aware of them, I went over to them and let them play with my yo-yos.

It was cool, and it made me feel good.

I like that kind of welcomed response. I like that I can play with my yo-yo inside of the bar (itā€™s cold here - outside sucks). If I were to whack someone, that would be the end of that. A bar has enough liability, they donā€™t need me behaving like a horseā€™s *** to compound things.

When weā€™re out in public, what we do impacts peopleā€™s perceptions. If I whack someone on accident at the grocery store, that means that the next time that person or anyone who saw what I did sees a yo-yo player, theyā€™re going to remember that event. This will subsequently change how they interact with me, if they choose to interact with me at all.

And letā€™s face it, we all like attention and appreciation from the general public for our neat tricks. We worked hard, we like it when people are impressed or fascinated by our stunts.

We owe it to ourselves, each other, and the general public to make sure we never nail someone else with our yo-yo.

I often find myself doing plain old Sleepers and Gravity pulls when I really want to do Brain Twisters and Trapezes just because someoneā€™s near me. I do Rock the Baby instead of Dizzy Baby or Shoot the Baby. I want to do around the world, but Iā€™ll often settle for a Jamaican Flag just because someone else is nearby.

Itā€™s really not worth it.

Besides, plastic and light or metal and heavy, those yo-yos can come out fast, and theyā€™re spinning, and theyā€™re sharp. Iā€™ve left a divot in a floor before. Imagine what you could do to someoneā€™s face or a childā€™s head.

No thanks. I got enough problems. I really donā€™t need the guilt and fees associated with having brained someone elseā€™s child.

4 Likes

I was throwing a breakaway and hit someones phone, luckily it did not break but it was scary.

That too. A $600 phone destroyed by a $12 yo-yo (at least thatā€™s how much mine cost)ā€¦ Iā€™d love trying to explain that one to my partner.

ā€œDear, I am sorry to say that we wonā€™t be going to your motherā€™s for Thanksgiving, because I whacked someoneā€™s iPhone at the bar tonight and a replacement costs six hundred dollars. Sorry about that.ā€

Iā€™m not certain how that story would end, but Iā€™m willing to bet we donā€™t live happily ever after.

The phone thing seems like an opportunity to me.

ā€œHon, I havenā€™t shattered a phone with my yoyo yet. If I did, weā€™d have to replace it for $600. The way I see it, Iā€™ve saved the family $600 by being careful. Donā€™t mind me while I use some of that money to buy a new Palpitationā€¦ā€

:wink:

You were doing a 5a combo while on a skateboard, did an ollie over the dog, mess up on the falling, the yoyo miraculously lands in your pocket, but the counterweight flys up miles in the air, falls down as a meteorite injuring everyone in your city.

?

I attempt a body tunnel style trick but the Yoyo binded and I hit myself in the face. That wasnā€™t funā€¦

I have never ever hit a person, once, while throwing yoze.

But if Iā€™m really, really mad; I usually stop yoing and then I have the opportunity to hit them several times.

:skull:

1 Like

As far as I remember, a couple of close calls but I havenā€™t hit anyone other then myself with a yoyo so far.

Although, anything beyond injuryā€¦
ā€¦Iā€™ve said too much already.

I almost hit the community director of my dorm onceā€¦ Was about to throw a really hard breakaway and I see him walk up as Iā€™m throwing it. Almoslet go of it, that wouldnā€™t have turned out good.