Evan, I'm a new thrower and also a lefty. Any tips?

I have watched a lot of YouTube. Your videos have helped me a lot because I really need to see things EXACTLY as they need to be. Any others as good as you or close to watch? How do you practice speed combos? Wait… That’s more than one! PS I loved the moonwalk.

1 Like

I’m not left handed but I know that there is a website where you can put in a link to a YouTube video and it will horizontally mirror it so that the first person cam will look like they’re using the opposite hand. Here’s the mirror I use: http://deturl.com/mirror-flip.asp

4 Likes

Haha. I’m really bad at giving new thrower advice because it’s been such a long time since I was new, and I don’t really remember all the things I did to learn. I think the best thing you can do is keep watching tutorials and get out to as many yoyo clubs/contests as you possibly can to learn from people in person. As for speed combos, Mr. Matio on youtube has some good tutorials on different speed combos, and I suggest that you learn as many as you can and incorporate the elements you like from each one into a new one that you can call your own.

3 Likes

I’m a lefty and mirror-flip is a godsend for learning yoyo tricks. I flip the POV parts of tutorials and watch the face-on parts without flipping, since that’s already like a mirror.

1 Like

There is type x string that is wound up the opposite way to be optimized for lefties, so maybe if you like that kind of string that could help you (look around and maybe you can find some different [and maybe cheaper] string that is inverse for lefties👍🏻

3 Likes

Most lefties play with regular twist string. It works just fine. I started making this reverse-twist string “Inverse” to fill a demand for lefties that wanted to be able to do string tension management just like a mirror image of righty player. Also, when you through left, the tension normally loosens with each throw, as apposed to tightening for righties. This Inverse string lets a lefty experience tightening with each throw just like righties with do with standard twist string.

If a left handed player has been throwing with standard twist string since they started (and that wasn’t recent), they would have to relearn a few tension managing tricks, and get used to it for sure.

3 Likes