European yo-yo players

I feel that European players have a unique technique and way of moving yo-yos unlike yo-yo players in other regions.
For example, players in other regions move the yoyo to perform a move, but European players seem to perform a move in accordance with the yoyo’s movement. Sorry for the poor explanation.
I also feel that the music selection is different from other regions, using darker, slightly weird tempo music. It is very cool and each freestyle is like a music video.

4 Likes

I am an European player, from my experience and many people I know, I noticed that in Asia for example everything is usually a bit more oriented in scoring, competition and points, there are many set tricks to perform and guarantee a good scoring, I seen this a bit less in Europe in the name of something more flow oriented, if a passage doesn’t score it is ok if make the combo flow great and visually pleasing.
Obviously the two realities intertwine a lot in Europe you can find so many “only” contest oriented players and in Asia more flow ones (just think about some players sponsored by Mowl, they have flow for days) but generally I think it is how we all influence each other generation by generation and while sometimes we can find some difference in playing by countries still we find a good mix between every style of play.
About the dark music I think it is a “cultural and fashion” thing, there is so many people that listen to post punk, weird electronic music genre like ambient and similar and many genres more flashy like for example Dubstep are basically dead quite many years ago.
About music you can find pretty much everything but if I guessed correctly you are talking probably about some Czech players from Empathy and their videos seems quite dark, I do think it is just a matter of taste of the players and style of the video director, in some ways (for my opinion) it makes look the yoyo playing something more classy, fashionable and cool but all this still depend from the cultural wave we live at the moment, probably 12 years ago most of the videos had Skrillex tracks on it lol

3 Likes

I think that young or casual European players tend to idolize or like more original players, who make their own tricks no matter if they score well or win contests. You have a wide variety of styles and each style has something appealing to it.

You have Tony Šec, who has complicated technical style with these kind of “messy slacks” and pace changes, original binds and so much more.

Then you have Jakub Dolejš who does extreme neck stoles, zoning hops, behind the back combos, laceration picture tricks, slap aroud slack combos and hooks. The hooks are only thing which he hasnt made or adapted to his style.

Maty Držmíšek - back in the Sf days, I would describe his style as a “prototype meta player”, but his tech combos have developed into something truly one of a kind and his speed combos have changed and evolved as well.

Then you have russian yoyoers (a lot of them) have a style which is hard to describe. No body tricks, no lacerations or meta tricks in general. Just pure tech and flowy tricks. I could go on.

All I wanted to say is that European players focus way more on creating their own tricks, insteat of learning generic meta tricks to win contests. That doesnt mean that there arent any “meta players”, but even these “meta players” usually give their tricks their original twist or a never seen before dismount or a following combo.

I higly recommend watching these

https://www.instagram.com/p/ClZJkPKMCjc/?igshid=ODk2MDJkZDc2Zg==

(especially in this one you have alot of different european players [except Remy and Keiran])

Ps: I dont think that there arent any original players outside out Europe, but there are more players which do these generic meta tricks in Us for example

3 Likes