Epic USPS Saga, yet incomplete

Unreasonable? The shipping service that we have all enjoyed for the past ^many years^ has suddenly been riddled with tracking issues, misdeliveries, and long wait times. I understand that the long wait times are expected at this time due to the covid epidemic, it seems that wait times are just one side of a bigger issue. I dont think that i am being unreasonable by saying that the delivery service is subpar at the moment.

@nothingfaced - how should i know, we have the postal god to ask of that one. Maybe incompetent/overworked employees? Believe me, i work at a medical diagnistic company who has been at the forefront of establishing resources to do the covid antibidy test. Im working long hours 6-7 days a week, and we are doing well, but there are problems in our chain that need to be strengthened. I think the gripes people have with testing are legit, even if they haven’t been solved yet. The USPS has problems, and im just asserting that it might be more than just understaffing.

Yes, the entire world has shut down due to Covid19. This has never happened before. You are being unreasonable.

3 Likes

I believe statements like that have been made several times on this forum.:wink: :point_down:

2 Likes

What is your assertion if not under-staffing?

2 Likes

Well it didn’t take very much to shake his confidence. :laughing: Good thing 2020 has been business as usual. Oh wait…

Anyway, I’m not devoting any more time to this awesome, spirited conversation. You guys win!!! People can read this thread for themselves and draw their own conclusions about the job USPS is doing.

Edit: Well, I see yoyodoc couldn’t resist getting in the last word anyway when I tried to close things amicably. I thought it best to cut it short when I could hear the proverbial steam shooting out of his ears like a steam whistle post after post, and I can see that was the right thing to do. Sorry to upset you so much, yoyodoc! Peace.

2 Likes

Now, you ‘are’ getting Stupid in me.

Who? And realize that ‘who’ includes you, said I was mad?

Now you are also a genius in identifying if people are ‘mad’ because their stories aren’t comprised of Wonderful words and gleeful phrases?

Epic sagas and mysteries elicit adventure and curiosity.

Mad is not an emotion that has any constructive effect in this equation.

I seldom get mad. Mad is the direct result of a persons’ inability to keep their composure.

When a person loses the ability to keep their composure and thus becomes ‘mad’. The ability to deal with the situation only gets worse.

A package not getting to me in a timely manner. Although not being a fun thing.

Certainly does not make me Mad.

How could getting ‘bent’ get my package to me any faster?

…Can you say anything that actually has any positive value regarding my story?

Instead of simply drawing erroneous conclusions. Based on your ‘assumptions’?

I don’t sweat the small $h_t.

I just find it worthy of a story now and then.

1 Like

The world is not entirely shut down. People would all be dead if that were so. It is imperative that our infrastructure continues to function, or society will cease. For some reason im working 70 hour weeks, and the entire world is shut down? Yes, it may seem insanely petty to complain about yoyo deliveries at this time, but there are many other important packages, and needless to say shipping as an industry, like that of healthcare, is required.

I think saying “because covid” is an unreasonable stance that ignores other fallibilities. There are problems, solve them. Many other industries are making great efforts to adapt. Or are you expecting some magic switch to be turned that returns life back to old norms? Your little comic is cute, but entirely inaccurate. I think everyone wants the solution that gets their packages to them on time. It will also allow for more online retail and positively benefit the world.

2 Likes

Untrained and poor staff? Id imagine an investigation should be done and corrective action implemented as appropriate. Packages shouldn’t be regularly pin ponging across the country and sitting for several months or weeks at one location. Shipping packages to one point to the next is a waste of resources, and doing it frequently suggests a logistical issue and not a staffing one. As for solving the problem, it isnt up to me. This issue has been in the news and we are left to see how our elected powers figure it out.

Victor, thanks for posting up something I said not that long ago. I guess our postal genius failed to read a more positive post that ‘I’ made in support of the Postal Service. And in my post, information about my knowing how much they deliver all over the planet.

I guess it is just more fun to call me foggy and I know nothing and such.

And what I said in that past post was accurate at that time.

Just like my current story is factual at this point in time.

I’m glad you necro’d that.

Gives a better perspective on my overall view of the Postal Service over time.

1 Like

You summarise the issues well. I’m sure someone will sort it all out soon. Could it really be that hard?

1 Like

@gomanual Im so glad you could verify this! Anyone else Ive told thinks Im crazy :joy:

2 Likes

I’m TOTALLY guilty of this.
In the past few months I’ve come to understand that you really are a good dude and I think people (like me) misunderstand you a lot on the forums.
I once called you out in the open here on the forums /sigh…and we took it to private messages and I gained a lot of respect for you during that whole thing. I believe your reply to me was honest and sincere…and I realized that damn I can be hella judgmental. I misunderstood you and made some assumption based off of that.

I know this isn’t a popularity contest…but I like ya just as you are Doc.
Keep on keeping on!

2 Likes

I can agree with parts of both sides in this. I have been in the trucking industry for 10 years now. As @TheHelveticaScenario stated, the general public has really no idea how much is involved in getting Product X from point A to point B, C, D & F. I am a driver trainer for a national chemical tanker company and a new hire’s first day isn’t even with me. I stick him in the load planning office for the day so he can see how much goes on in there and the massive fecal storm that is created when a shipment doesn’t go according to plan. It is mind boggling how one single kink can throw off the entire company. Logistics can be a nightmare and I’ve refused every offer thrown at me to enter into the office world mainly because I’d like to keep what’s left of my sanity at least until I’m 40. God bless you IT guys.

With that being said, I agree with @yoyodoc that our current state is expected to effect timing but should not be effecting accuracy and customer service to the extent of some of these stories. Obviously USPS is massive but good God, I have flashbacks hearing some of these mail horror stories because they are too similar to mine in the past. My mom and pop shop would be out of business yesterday if we had shipments winding up in random places and getting lost in the system like that. USPS also uses bottom of the barrel contractors. If you saw some of their operations, you’d understand some of your late deliveries.

As for @eternalmetal I hear you loud and clear. I haven’t had a full day off since March 8th. The world certainly did not shut down. We found massive weaknesses in our chain too but figured it out. Understaffed and overworked but we did what needed to be done and adapted to these new demands Keep on working hard, we can sleep when we’re dead, right? :sunglasses:

Here’s my rig. A bit gaudy if you ask me but it gets the point across. Keep on truckin everybody. This too shall pass.

8 Likes

I don’t deal much with USPS.
But if working there is anywhere close to what is depicted in Post Office from Bukowski, I’m happily surprised you guys even get things delivered at all.
(Really loved this book and gave me lots of empathy for postal services workers in general btw)

2 Likes

Yes, every now and then it’s good to stop what you’re doing and have a strong drink.

Great writer, raging alcoholic.

2 Likes

A misogynist drunkard that writes eloquent poetry when he’s not being provocative for the sake of provocation

2 Likes

Don’t mean to derail thread, but I really want a yo-yo company (any company) to use this phrase as a colorway name for a splatter paint job on a yo-yo.

3 Likes

I’d buy it!

2 Likes

If anyone were to do it, it’d be @poopyoyos

1 Like