Elihops

Hey guys! I want to learn elihops soo desperately, and I know a lot of you have it perfected. If one of you (or many) could post the URL for a tutorial that you found/find helpful, that’d be great! Tips are appreciated, too! Thanks!

http://yoyoexpert.com/learn/042-advanced-eli-hops.html

Ok, so first just practice popping the yoyo off the string, then try the hands go apart thing. That is how I did it! Keep at it!

I think I used this one:

The most important tip I can give you is not about technique. Practice this somewhere with nice high ceilings. You can do shorter hops indoors where there’s a normal 8-foot ceiling, but having the utter confidence that you can just hop that sucker into the air without damaging anything is something I found super important.

Once I had such a space (I call it “outdoors”), all I did is go, “How do you even hop it up that high” and did only the hopping motion, not worrying about the catch. After a few failed attempts I saw what was SUPPOSED to happen, and that “aha” moment was the most important thing.

I do have a technique tip, too, though:

People are going to tell you to catch near your NTH. I say “phooey”. Catch closer to that hand than halfway, but it’s more important to create tension on the string as it comes back down to the trapeze. If you’re pulling taut the whole time, and then give it just a bit of extra “juice” right before it hits the string, the yoyo has no choice but to land on the string. It’s physics. Think less about “catching” the yoyo, and more about making it hit the string by creating tension.

thank you so much, man!!! I just pulled off TWO virtually perfect hops after like a day of practice! Thanks!

thanks, man! The outdoors thing IS actually super helpful. It’s better to have the confidence of hopping as high as I want!

thanks! I’ve been trying just popping without landing and now I can do it ok!