Easier tricks that impress

I carry both a bearing 1A yoyo and a wooden fixie I made. In my experience shoot the moon gets the most positive comments from spectators. I can do a fair amount of 1A and fixed stuff but shoot the moon is the one that gets the most attention.

What are your experiences?

12 Likes

I had some friends over with their teenage kids. Plastic Whip was one that got asked for a repeat. One of the kids asked for Pop The Clutch, which I’d forgotten.

10 Likes

Whenever I do Eli Hops is usually always when their eyes seem to widen and then they’re like “Oh damn, these ain’t your regular yoyos huh”

Besides that, I usually do a few arm and thumb grinds and then maybe a super quick combo to showcase the complexity of modern tricks

8 Likes

For me at school people are always coming to me asking if i can do the dna, and the only times i mess up is when the yoyo snags

4 Likes

Eli hops and DNA are what people like the most, in my experience.

7 Likes

Eli hops, asian pops, DNA. The usual suspects.

Just the other day I saw a funny post on instagram saying that all of the cool kids stopped caring about DNA, and now pop the clutch is the hottest trick on the playground. This has to be a random coincidence, but I’d love to believe that pop the clutch is going to be the next dna/godspeed tiktok sensation.

7 Likes

Easily could have been a post, but I think her brother was into yoyo at some point and they were asking for the tricks they remembered by describing them. She didn’t actually say pop the clutch, but just acted it out. Then her dad (my friend) did a trick I don’t remember ever seeing called Spank The Baby (which was just slapping the back of his hand to get the yoyo tug to happen).

One couple was reluctant to take anything with them for some reason, but I gave them a Spintastics Tiger Shark and my other friend whose kids were there happily took an unresponsive yoyo home.

6 Likes

One of the easiest impressive tricks is probably Mach 5. With a little practice and by making mysterious noises, you can make it appear like pure magic.

5 Likes

Frog in a Bag :frog:

1 Like

I get applause from elevator every. single. time.

All the ones everyone else said are good too.

Black hops, gyro flip, arm grind, freehand chops, 1 handed laceration-style whip, also get a great response.

9 Likes

For me when I am practicing while in the house with the kids around, at a store waiting in line or out in the yard or at a park. If I see people or the kids watching me. I will throw a simple single hook that really make their eyes light up.

This is a good one throw hand chopsticks to wrist mount into spirit bomb.

Have a great rest of the week

5 Likes

I’d say Magic Trick. Might not be brand new beginner level, but it’s fairly easy once you land the wrist mount. I thought it was going to take longer, but I learned it in about an hour. This one still gets my kid’s’ attention.

6 Likes

I do the pinwheel as fast as I can with a strenuous look on my face. Gets em every time

3 Likes

Was just gunna say, Elevator for sure LOL! - That is my Number #1 go to trick. Then i follow up with a picture trick (usually star) and then for the Grand Finale, you gussed it…THE DNA!!! LOLOLOL

6 Likes

I’d say 0a stalls but after attempting to learn some today I can neither confirm nor deny that they are easy

I got big reactions from mirage tower the other day, dna and super steezy eli hops are easy money

Interesting topic. Only trick I want to add is boing-e-boing…And this is an unpopular opinion but walk the dog is still a banger! Makes the non-throwers go woah and smile. Needs to have the yoyo as far out in front as possible for maximum effect though.

This is from the smothers brothers weird yoyo routine/song. (My pop made me watch this when he found out I was yoyoing.)

9 Likes

the 2 handed trick at the end is a bangerrr LOL!

1 Like

I like to throw a magic trick, that slap demands attention

2 Likes

Love that yoyo man video. :wink:

1 Like