Duncan Trick CD

I found this trick cd at my parents house.
It’s the one in the back of this picture:

But, it’s one of those small sized discs that where popular for the summer of '92 before everyone came to their senses. So, I can’t play it.
What’s on it?

2 Likes

That disc was released during Duncan’s 75th anniversary back in 2004. There were three different discs: string tricks, looping, and offstring and freehand. They had beginner tutorials, maintenance tips, product descriptions, and a really cool clip video.

On a personal level, all three, especially the string trick disc, were very influential in my early years of throwing. I have fond (and frustrating) memories of trying to break down the tricks they were doing in the clip video. I remember thinking that Kota Watanabe was from another planet because one of the tricks he does was extremely hard for me at the time.

Here is a link for all three in one file. It works fine on my computer.

web.archive.org/web/20131025235023/https://www.yo-yo.com/CDRoms/DuncanCDRom-All.zip

2 Likes

Awesome thanks man!

Every CD drive I’ve seen has a smaller recess that allows playing the small disks.

1 Like

Tough if you’ve got a Mac though.

Guess I’ve never seen one.

Yeah I think Morgoroth was looking for an iPhone app to open it. We’ll get him straightened out at the next yoyo club meet.
Pretty cool your folks had yoyo trick cd’s though, maybe you should bring them!

1 Like

As usual, I’m totally confused. Maybe I’m missing something here. How would anyone think of using a phone to play a CD?

BTW, he’s got a Samsung phone…

ouch. tough room here…
it was supposed to be a joke.

My computer doesn’t have a tray on the cd drive. You just put the disc in. So, I don’t know if it will handle the small ones.

1 Like

Hey there was a track list included on this disc and I’m trying to find the songs. Do you know what they were? I think there was a music player you could listen too on this disc.

Welcome to the forums!

1 Like

knowing Duncan stuff from that era, I would guess there’s some music from Asian Man Records on it. I downloaded the CD zip file but since Flash Player was End-of-Lifed Jan 12th 2021, I can’t use Chrome to open the swf files inside and Ruffle (a flash player emulator) doesn’t currently support the video codec that was used (H.263). There are a handful of SWF files though that do play music though:

• bv.swf – instrumental, which makes it hard to look for; maybe custom written for the disc.
  • lobv.swf – song w/ lyrics, but nothing comes up searching; vocalist sounds like Jack Ringca
  • stbv.swf - Fifth Hour Hero - Everything I Won’t Miss
  • td.swf - Guys With Swords - Throw Duncan (Jack Ringca on drums/vocals, Steve Brown on bass, Derron Nuhfer on guitar, Laura Davis on Vocals)

None of the lot[01-09].swf, stt[01-09].swf, or t[01-16].swf files work in Ruffle because of the aforementioned codec issue.

There’s a duncan.exe file so I’ll have to see if I can get it running in a virtual machine w/ XP or something. I tried Wine but I’m using a Mac on Catalina which dropped support for 32-bit executables.

1 Like
1 Like

From the apparently bottomless pit o’ stuff…

Would Duncan be cool about this re-emerging for general enjoyment or is that Not A Thing ? :thinking:

2 Likes