Duncan Butterflys snapping strings?

I got some new Duncan Butterflys recently and I found that they snap my 50/50 strings after just a few minutes of playing. Never had this issue with my Butterfly from a few years ago (using the same strings). Anyone else having the same issue?

3 Likes

@GnarlyCharlie sure has

3 Likes

Donā€™t even get me started on this! Lol. Zipline String seems to hold up really well on the new butterflyā€™s. Kitty fat is also great.

4 Likes

None with the 3 of mine (purchased during FAF and used almost daily)

4 Likes

I had 1 that was snapping strings but I think itā€™s bc I messed up the axle by poorly taking out a knot with a knife :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Did you get it from Target? They had this issue last Christmas and @bjardin said that Duncan had issued a defect warranty where you could exchange it at Target if you had this issue. Something with some of the axles being too rough.
Edit: Bryan Jardin does marketing at Duncan. He may comment, heā€™s on here from time to time.

5 Likes

Well shoot maybe mine wasnā€™t user errorā€¦ hmmm

1 Like

I got one from my local supermarket (was surprised to see yoyos there so I had to get one!) and the rest I got in a pack being sold on amzn. Come to think of it, I had purchased them around Christmas time. Maybe I ended up with defects.

2 Likes

It is most likely a rough spot or sharp spot thatā€™s a defect. It happens. Sometimes a good buffing of the axle (which I recommend on every new one anyways) can remove all of it. Itā€™s easy to buff the axle with a wet yo-yo string dipped in baking soda. Itā€™s actually quite effective on new yo-yos with fixed metal axles.

4 Likes

@Slestak75 Ooo ok Iā€™ll give that a try, thanks!

1 Like

If it is an actual sharp burr then the buffing wonā€™t really help. But those will almost immediately snap a string. Rough spots are common and will buff out. Also the shiny freshly smoothed axle will play much better. This helps every new one. Eventuallyā€¦play will accomplish the same thing, this just does it all at once. :grin::+1:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve bought so many butterflies in the last couple years.

Iā€™d say 1 out of every 10 butterflies is a string cutter. Iā€™d also say 1 out of every 10 plays perfectly fresh out of the box. The other 8 out of 10 always require some kind of maintenance to play right. Usually just an axle buffing as Steve suggested but once in awhile you might have to adjust the gap.

1 Like

I have this exact problem with mine. Im bitter about having to buy it, hated using it half of February.

At least there is one yoyo im glad to beat to hell in my collection :rofl:

Half of these dings are from it chewing string, the other half is from that doc pop trick lol.

4 Likes