Does sloppy play matter if no one is watching?

I think it was about the price of tea in China. :laughing:

3 Likes

Yes. There you go.
Next!

5 Likes

Again, Yes.

3 Likes

That flow is an awesome feeling. It took me a bit to find the yoyo setup I like. Now that I have it Iā€™m just enjoying the dance.

2 Likes

Why does sloppy play matter at all?

Fling the thing around above your head like a helicopter if it brings you fun.

12 Likes

Sloppy gets less sloppy on its own . Just keep playing .

10 Likes

I made a video of my then-current trick for a friendā€™s virtual birthday. It took me hours and I only landed the trick relatively cleanly a few times. Watching it on video wasnā€™t quite cringe-level, but it definitely didnā€™t look as good as it felt. Luckily, all that repeating helped me learn the trick better and it probably looks fairly decent now. Sloppy doesnā€™t really feel that satisfying to me, so I just repeat and repeat until itā€™s fun and then Iā€™ll try to add the next rung.

9 Likes

Whoā€¦. Exactly is ā€˜proudā€™ of bad habits?

If a person says they are proud of a bad habit, they are just making a weak attempt to justify it.

8 Likes

This really only applies to responsive play for me but when I started Tom Smothers was popular playing his Yo-yo man character. If you watch him he has a playful sloppy style for comedic purposes. I tried to copy that often as a kid which turned into playing a game with myself where I try to keep playing without catching for as long as possible. If it gets off axis you have to improvise or correct it and regen or loop, stall, or whatever it takes to keep it going. Like hacky sack sorta. Itā€™s fun and good for warming up. I will do this then switch yo-yos and try to play clean and smooth, or fast. Just another thing to add diversity and keep it light hearted and fun.
Iā€™m sure I look very silly to other yo-yoers but to the the normal non throwers, Iā€™m sure it all looks about the same.

5 Likes

This explains my 20ā€™s

2 Likes

Binge drinkers, recreational drug users, and binge eaters for a shortlist of examples. These are thought of by some to be bad habits. The ones who participate in this activity see it as a part of their personality and or their culture which makes it socially acceptable.

People are often proud to say how much they can drink but no one I know has ever said how proud they are for being a nose picker. Society and culture will determine which bad habits we can be proud of.

1 Like

Have you found a yoyo that you play less sloppy with? I can throw pretty darn good and tight with my favorite yoyos and find other yoyos are more difficult. What yoyo do play less sloppy with?

2 Likes

It has taken me a bit to find the yoyo shape, weight, sting, string length, and bearing shape I am comfortable with. I have a good feel for that now. I have four yoyos that fit my comfort zone. Two I flip flop bringing into work with me. The other two I keep at home (mostly because they are expensive and/or I donā€™t want to damage them).

3 Likes

What yoyos are they? You can tell me, no one else is listening.

5 Likes

Lol, sorry wasnā€™t trying to be cryptic.

Iceberg classic, Y03 Hertz, Frosted Euclase and Halberd. Y03 is my oldest with the most playtime. Halberd is my newest (got it just yesterday).

The Y03 and Frost I take to work with me so they have the most playtime.

2 Likes

I loved watching Tom Smothers also.

Very true. Non throwers donā€™t see the mistakes, heck they donā€™t even see the trick most of the time. If I get ask to ā€œshow me a trickā€ I do a Mach 5 with a Pop n Fresh. Most are happy with that.

5 Likes

To me it matters much MORE when no oneā€™s watching. I donā€™t actually care about playing ā€œsloppyā€ or ā€œcleanā€. I care about playing with intention and presence. That pretty much encapsulates my whole purpose for playing yoyo. Sloppy playing is forgivable. But I try not to have a sloppy attitude or approach.

How you play is a gift you give yourself.
So give yourself something YOU want, whether itā€™s sloppy, pristine, fast, slow, technical, simplistic, angry, joyful, or sillyā€¦ I jump around between all of those. But I do always try to BE THERE and to accept what comes out.

20 Likes

Such an important viewpoint in my opinion.

5 Likes

It matters in anything and everything you do. Muscle memory is important. I play a lot of musical instrument and I cannot imagine being sloppy on a drum set just because no one is around. It would not sound right. It would not feel right. And I would not enjoy it. Most importantly, it would negatively affect my performance in front of a crowd if I did not give it all in practice.

9 Likes

It is neither good nor bad, ONLY THINKING Makes it so.
Live2YO, YO2LIVEā€¦Breathe!

4 Likes