Does my DM's bearing need to be cleaned?

Hey everybody,
I was just wandering if my Dark Magic’s bearing just needs to be cleaned or if something is wrong with it. I got my Dark Magic yo-yo for Christmas, and on Christmas Day, I got my longest sleeper on it, (around 1 minute and 40 seconds), then a few days later, I was getting a shorter sleeper,(around 1 minute) and I just thought it was just my throw, then just last night I noticed that the tricks I used to be able to do on it, I could not do it, but I could do the same tricks on my other yo-yos, so I timed my sleeper, I got 35 seconds on my Dark Magic, after that, I checked and made sure that it was not my throw, on two other yo-yos, on my modified Big Ben, I got 42 seconds, which is what I got last time I timed it, and on my stock Legacy, I got 1 minute and 1 second, which is around what I got last time I timed it, so I opened my Dark Magic, and gave the bearing a spin, and it sounds like something slows it down, and it does throw down quite a bit.
Sorry for it being a big post, but I just wanted to get all the information in it, and thank you in advance.

Go ahead, de-shield and clean the bearing.

1 Like

Thank you for your help, but I have just one more question, “What should I use to clean the bearing with, because I read the words in the learn section on bearing cleaning, and it said that mineral spirits and lighter fluid will probably crack the plastic, and it can even melt it, so I was wandering what would be safe on plastic yo-yos, but does not have water in it so it would not make the bearing rust?”. (The reason I ask this is because I don’t want to risk messing up my yo-yo, or my yo-yo bearing.)
Thank you in advance.

Solvents can cause damage to plastics. However, what the learn section does not state is that you would have to be extremely thoughtless to try and clean a bearing while it is on the yo-yo. Remove the bearing from the yo-yo, deshield it, clean it, dry it, lube it, play it.

1 Like

i would do what mrcnja said to do also check if anything was caught in the bearing too

1 Like

I was just wandering, if “Spic and Span”, which says it removes dirt, grease, and odors, and it says it could be used on washable hard, nonporous surfaces: floors, walls, and the interior surfaces of appliances, “Fantastik, with pure orange oil”, which says it cuts tough grease, and it could be used on appliances, microwaves, ovens, stainless steel, chrome, countertops, sinks, cabbinets, ceramic tiles, floors, tubs, basins, showers, fiberglass, porcelain surfaces, chrome fixtures, or maybe “Glass Cleaner”. The reason I ask this, is because I found out the prolonged exposure to mineral spirits is not good for your lungs.

Quote: Although mineral spirits are considered safe as cleaner, OSHA, the Occupational Health and Safety Administration, warns of “potential acute health effects” including irritation of the skin and eyes, and the hazardous potential of mineral spirits if ingested or inhaled. Furthermore, mineral spirits are toxic to the lungs and nervous system, and “repeated or prolonged exposure” can produce “target organs damage”.:unquote

Thank you in advance.

Don’t use household cleaners. Use mineral spirits or lighter fluid and work in a well ventilated area.

1 Like

After you clean your bearing, that sometimes makes it more prone to being shot (broken). So just to remind you, I took the liberty to tell you that you should put some thin lube in after you clean your bearing. I suggest this. I usually run my bearings dry, but It will extend the life of your bearing if you lube it slightly. THe yoyo may seem more responsive than before. You just have to break it in.

I suggest thin lube, and it is located here: http://shop.yoyoexpert.com/product/58/YYJ-Lube
Remember, you don’t have to do this, It will just extend the life of you bearing, so the balls inside the bearing won’t eat themselfs up. And one more thing. Only put 1 drop in.

1 Like

After awhile, I remembered I had one shim in it, so I took it out, and it increased my sleep time a little, I will try to add a tiny drop of lube and play with it a lot and see if it is dried up lube that is causing the problem.
Sorry for the trouble, everybody.