Does Mineral Water Help?

Im trying to get my yoyo to become less responsive and I don’t have lube. Im asking if Mineral Water will help

NOOOOO!!!, not mineral water. That will rust ans ruin the bearing. You use mineral spirits to clean the bearing. Cleaning the bearing gets rid of all the lube, so it should be unresponsive.

Anything with water will cause rust.

Common sense.

Is mineral spirit the only thing that helps? or can there be others

WAIT
Also can I get this mineral spirit?
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100677231&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=100677231&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D24X-_-100677231&locStoreNum=1002

Yes - that is mineral spirits, but you don’t need to buy a gallon jug. Look for a pint or quart size at the most.

Use mineral, turpentine, or lacquer. Never alchohol or water , alchohol has water.
I will try lacquer because it drys fast. but it may leave bearing too dry? Mineral spirits does leave a bit of film on the bearing .

I like lighter fluid over all of the above.

I don’t use lacquer thinner precisely because it dries too fast, having a tendency to leave residue on the bearing.

I really like to use lighter fluid the most too. I think it works the best, and it never lets me down. You can also clean it with acetone, and mineral spirits too like other people said previously.

acetone works too.
just use the pure stuff.
also, that brand of mineral spirit doesn’t work that well. I bought a gallon of their brand of paint thinner, and it turned out to be some thick white stuff.

DO NOT USE WD-40. I know this will come up later so just diffusing it now. ;D

Does anyone know about Compressed air?

I’ve used Compressed air to loosen up whatever might be in the bearing but it doesn’t clean it like mineral spirits/lighter fluid.

…and Mineral water is yummy…I suggest San Pellegrino ;D

Again I have one bearing I’ve been using WD-40 for over a year now. No ill effects yet. spins for days and I only clean it every great once in a while.

2 Likes

I’ve used that brand of mineral spirits and works great. I can’t even hear any of my cleaned bearings any more. It IS a creamy white color though, but it doesn’t hurt anything.

I use Ronsonol Lighter Fluid, works like a dream. especially considering the bottle it comes in, I have a glass jar for dunking the bearing but before I do I squirt fluid into the bearing while it’s shields are off. I rotate it a bit and re-squirt, I do this until I feel I have rotated it about a full turn, then I dunk it and shake for a good 5 minutes, pull it out, stick it on a pencil and blow it with Canner Air whilst spinning it, dries fast. Then for good measure I use the paper trick. viola 10 minutes and I have a perfectly clean and dry long spinning bearing. :smiley:

1 Like