Does humidity effect yoyo response?

Hiya folk.

Strange thing happened to me today. We’ve had a few hot and humid days, and when I started playing my yoyos again today several of them had suddenly become much more responsive (from dead unresponsive to twitchy touch responsive.)

The only thing I can put it down to is the extreme humidity over the last few days. Has anyone else had this experience?

Only thing I can think of is moisture seeping in.

It’s possible. Most likely what lleraH said. Maybe try putting a drop of lube in there and playing with it. Or just play with it as is. Responsive can be fun.

Where do you store your yoyos?

Not until you get knuckled x]

Then you aren’t very smooth. :wink:

maybe the humidity rusted the bearing or the metal expanded. the extra mousture might habe seeped into the responce and made it flush

This has actually happened to me before. I think it’s the moisture getting into the bearing and response, so it’s slightly more responsive when you use it for a while, but when you come back inside and just leave it alone for a while and pick it up again, it’s back to normal. Trust me, this has happened to me before, it’s not a big deal, or anything to worry about. :wink:

Yes, this is true. I live in FL so I have many humid days. I’m not really sure what the humidity does but it DOES do something. Wish I could be more help.

i live in FL and has been in the 100’s latley and it still doesnt effect my yoyos

same here i live in FL

yeah ir does the same to me weve been cooking over here and my yoyoin has gotten a tad bit more responsive so i think it does efecty it

oooh, Science time!

When the humidity is high we have a ton of extra water in the air. Here are a few things that can happen to our throws.

• First the string can act like a sponge and swell up. This would happen the most with a cotton or part cotton string. However synthetics absorb moisture as well.
  • Second, If you go from a cool or air conditioned environment to a hot one you will get condensation on the yoyo. Not much but possibly enough to enter the bearing or again get the string to swell.
  • Third, a “clean” unlubricated bearing is prone to rust. A increase in the ambient humidity can shorten the time required to rust it.
  • Another thought could be that the response system itself swells. Not the rubber/silicone but the backing material or adhesive.

Just a couple of thoughts…