Does custom paint improve or depreciate

Whether it be custom powder coat, ano, blast, mask, whatever, the end result is that the average yoyo will depreciate in value compared to popular production run colorways, and this is especially true in the case of CLYWs where people are willing to pay top dollar to have a specific one.

I don’t know why other people don’t value them as high, for me a large part of it is that if I wanted a custom yoyo done, I would much rather send a yoyo to one of you fine yoyo art folks myself and have it come out to my specifications so I’d have something that’s not only unique to me, but also a product of my own imagination (and the artist’s hard work).

PC and anodize are both fantastic mediums to bring new life to stripped throws or ones with damage that only breaks the previous anodize, with the edge clearly going to PC (or maybe just Bob’s magic, not being familiar with the process I have no clue) since it seems to be able to mask a great deal of actual physical damage as well. As far as appearance, both ano and PC bring different things to the table depending on what a person is looking for. Both mediums can result in some really unique and impressive pieces so I really can’t say which I prefer.

At the end of the day, although custom ano and PC both bring some really great things to yoyo, production run colorways are what will command consistently higher prices with only a few exceptions.

1 Like

I honestly don’t understand the point in powder coating. It isn’t visually appealing to me. I would much rather blast something and have it ano’d.

You are typical of those that are not in the know. There are tons of options with powder. Far more selection than ano could ever imagine.

The only negative thing that I can say about powdercoat is that it adds weight. Might not be a bad thing if a throw feels light but if something is perfect feeling in weight the powdercoat just slightly add weight, Usually less than a gram if I remember bob saying. Powdercoat is very versatile and does cover damage up well. I do prefer ano to it but there’s nothing wrong with a nice powdercoat.

I also prefer the feel of an anodized throw over the feel of a powdercoated throw personally

What do you mean by " Levi’s stuff is mainly worn out now and imo worth less than most would pay"? Pretty sure a levi painted peak is worth more than a powdercoated peak unless the damage is significant. Most people kept their levi peaks in good condition so that statement just seems false.

I’ll always choose the original coating unless it wasn’t rare to begin with.

Feel free to show me a powdercoat yoyo that looks anything like this:

Also, for those of us that have throws that have been touched by Jason Wong and vendetta, we know the real deal.

Paint is a much easier media to work with, to the point of laughter actually. The fact that now it’s going to be sitting on the shelf because your afraid of the wear factor if you want to keep it looking pretty sucks.

Can you get powder to blend and be as seamless as paint? Not for the most part. I’ve had a Levi piece come through my shop recently that was beat to death. People got all twisted up cause it was stripped and redone in powder. It was worth the price of the throw at that point which is another story all together.

Paint will never ever outlast powder period! Until the sheep decide to break out for themselves eventually they will be stuck thinking like you.

Show me a painted throw that will outlast a powdered one!

Can you garner these colors from ano or paint???

Anodizing is still more durable than powdercoating and if you take a look there’s some pretty amazing detail for anodized throws. Especially when laser engraving comes into play.

So my thoughts that powdercoating feels weird, adds weight, runs the risk of vibe, and chips makes me a sheep?

Ano is harder than powder for sure but that’s where it ends.

Ano is skin and powder is a glove. Drag your skin over the concrete then drag a glove over it. I’d ruin my glove versus my skin.

Have you felt a flat ano powder or a bead blasted powder? No I’m sure.

Adds about a gram if nothing was done to the throw initially. Which is never the case because they should be raw prior to coating. In fact a recent Ape-x I did came in at nearly the stock weight did you know that. No I’m sure.

Powder will chip. Can be repaired to near new if careful. Ano wasn’t invited to that party. Did you know this? No I’m sure.

Sheep and misinformed.