Does anyone use Fountain Pens?

Lamy definitely makes some solid pens, the Al-Star is my every day writer

It’s a big bottle and free pen! ;D

The Safari is a solid pen as gijoey mentioned. Mines held up fine for years.

Really like this years limited edition color in the burnt orange!

This year’s safari is burnt orange?! I never remember to check, but that sounds awesome! I wasn’t diggin the coral from last year.

Filled my Ahab with some Leonardo since I figured I’d use the nice ink for my finals. I missed writing in this color 8)

Nope, it’s this years Al-Star limited color!

I’ve been diggin the JH Stormy Grey and R&K Scabiosa lately. Still need to pick up the new JH Ocean Blue to finish the set out (now it has hematite sparkles too).

I have stumbled across this thread a few times now, I have yet to read everything but I always get inspired to get a cool Pen!

Thinking about getting myself a Lamy Safari with a Z24 converter… I am guessing I need ink for it.
Any suggestions on a cool ink for everyday writing? Or should I just stick with the ink cartridges it comes with?
Is there anything else I should get in the order for my very first fountain pen?

The Safari comes with one blue ink cartridge but you’ll need more. :slight_smile: You can actually refill the ink cartridge with a syringe from any ink bottle but the converter makes it easier. Their blue is a light blue to me but performs well although I prefer bottled ink and don’t use any cartridge inks. If you want less mess (aka fun) the cartridges are the way to go, but if you don’t mind an inky finger or two and paper towels to wipe the nib off after filling, bottles.

Any top brand ink should work well. Just pick a color, or 3, you like. Watch out for some specific colors as they may not perform well or stain terribly (Bay State Blue), but this will be mentioned in reviews on sites like the Gouletpens site or FPN and others. Or ask here and if any of us have used the color I’m sure we could comment.

Yep, that advice has you covered. Noodlers ink is usually a great starting point, and if you order a big bottle, most come with a free pen, so you can have a ton of platinum preppys lying around

I have been looking at the Noodlers Ink. What is a preferred black ink and a blue ink… I was looking at the X-Feather with the free pen BUT they’re out! I like how black it looks! :frowning: lol… Bay State Blue doesn’t sound like it was too friendly.
Really digging the Apache Sunset or the Habanero. Too many beautiful colors…

Also, should I grab a few different sized nibs?

There are a few different sites to pick from. Xfeather is a good black ink for sure

Really, all Noodler’s ink is good. Bay state just uses a really strong color in it

Placed an order…VERY excited now!! Have no clue how I spent so much on just wanting a Pen… but really pumped to write and draw with these Fountain Pens :slight_smile:

Thanks again guys!!

just wait until you actually try writing with one! You’ll be hooked, its not anything like writing with a ball point pen. And just wait until you start trying out all the different kinds of inks, it’s almost as addicting as collecting and playing yoyos

Noodler’s black is a great ink imho, a staple of the brand Nathan says. Bulletproof and well behaved. Heart of Darkness is also good but only comes in the large bottle. For a different take on black I like Zhivago which is dark green but looks black on the page and El Lawrence which actually looks like used motor oil and it’s bulletproof.
For blue. Depends on what kind of blue, lol. For a dark rich blue I like Diamine Majestic Blue. It dries on good paper with a nice red sheen in parts at the right angle in the light. Dries a little slow. For a lighter but still rich colored blue I like Noodler’s Navajo Turquoise and Diamine Mediterranean Blue.
Two darker blues I like and both are bulletproof are Noodler’s Bad Belted Kingfisher and 54th Massachusetts. BBK is a blue/black I guess and 54th is like a dusty greyish blue.

I like both Apache Sunset and Habanero. Habanero is a brighter orange with just a touch less shading for me. Antietam is also a good color close to those but with a bit more red.

You might want to try a fine, bold, and italic nib since Lamy nibs aren’t too expensive? Those will show you the most variation and differences in ink saturation/shading and writing experience.

And it begins… ;D Then if you start writing with a softer nib pen don’t let other people use it! It will actually form itself to your writing style of pressure, angle, etc. so it’s really your pen.

Exactly!

I am super excited… Ended up getting bottle of X-feather Black and a bottle of Apache Sunset, about 5 or 6 sample inks (including a Habanero :slight_smile: ) and I ended up getting a Lamy Safari with a Fine nib in the neon lime and also a Lamy Joy with the 1.5 nib. And already have some nice blank paper here begging for some ink! We’ll see how it goes ;D

I wish I would have put the Zhivago in my order… cool blackish green! Nice drawing… :wink:
Almost grabbed some El Lawrence but was a little more pricey than the other Noodler’s inks I grabbed… Zhivago will be in my next order probably :stuck_out_tongue:

Order came in midday… had to test them out. A new addiction has begun :-X
Thanks for your advice guys, MUCH appreciated! :wink:

All the Lamy Safari and a wet paint brush… Noodler’s Apache Sunset and J. Herbin Bleu Ocean

Wow! That’s great! I love the J Herbin ocean bleu, and Apache sunset!

Welcome to the addiction, your ink collection is about to explode seeing as you use them for art very well

Glad you’re enjoying them and nice drawing! Next you might want to check out the $20 Noodler’s Ahab flex nib pen. :slight_smile: Might have to fiddle with it a bit at 1st, but you can easily set it up to write how you want.

I will probably get a Noodler’s Ahab Flex on my next order from Goulet… as well as the J.Herbin Anniversary inks.

I did get a chance to check out a store not too far away called Flax Pen to Paper. AWESOME experience…!
Got another Safari with a Broad nib and tried some amazing pens!

May have to get into my toy fund (saving for a 1drop CiTIzen… :-X) and spend it on a new pen.
The nice people at Flax Pen let me try a Pilot with a 14k nib that gave nice varying line weights, then he let me try (MY future favorite fountain pen) a Sailor Professional with a 14k Music nib. Beautiful lines, sooo smooth… was in awe!

Anyway… still having fun with these pens and water! ;D

Lamy Safari and a wet brush… Noodler’s Cactus Fruit Eel

I also, for a few months, I’m having fun with these fantastic pens and their magnificent flex nibs!
http://s28.postimg.org/9vksw0m99/IMG_1724.jpg
I think it’s the best you can buy with little money … I would be very curious to try a Neponset and its music nib …

Cactus fruit eel is great for shading/wash with a wet brush eh! Very nice!

I was a little bit disappointed with my Neponset at 1st but am enjoying it now. I like the looks, line variation, and size of the pen most. Although you get close to the line variation with the Ahab for basically 25% of the price you do get some nice looking acrylic for the material. The Coral Sea really has amazing sparkle and depth in person.

http://i.imgur.com/YAoIiZ0.jpg

Ottoman Rose by Noodler’s. Nice color with some shading. Apache Sunset (Ahab) and Black (XF Pilot) also on the page.

http://i.imgur.com/XDknJcv.jpg