Does anyone think that most modern yoyos are boring?

A bit less snaggy and sensitive response but not a bigger gap.

Maybe this isn’t correct, but I always thought that the wall right by the response was too abrupt of a step and it would be improved with a smoother transition between the central wall and middle wall.

Less like this:

And more like this:

…anyways, that’s my 2 cents.

I’m all for modern performance tweaks on older designs. Would love an updated OG Puffin, that yoyo had such a great feel in play.

The truth!! :wink:

2 Likes

It seems you skipped a little bit of what I said. I said “Most Throws it seems are geared towards getting formulas of shapes and play down perfectly for competition.” Which makes them all feel too “by the book”. If you feel what I said was a slam then well…have fun with that. Yes it is a lot to flat out dislike and there are that much I do dislike so I don’t buy them.

Well, I was referring to this:

And to comment on your first part - You don’t like them so you don’t buy them. I get that, that makes perfect sense and I would never advise you to buy a yo-yo that you don’t like - BUT, If you don’t buy them or throw them then how could you possibly hold any reasonable opinion on how they play/perform/feel?

I do think we are in a golden age of yoyos where “the best” is quite common and basically all yoyos that cost $20 or more are quite good – excellent machining, excellent bearing. As in, there are really no truly bad yoyos these days?

Consider that we’ve more or less normalized on shapes…

and sizes … though yoyos today are bigger than they were 5 years ago… the average weight seems to be ~65g, and diameter and width don’t vary that much either.

I have two round slabs of pretty wood on a dowel. It vibes like crazy and doesn’t sleep more than a moment, but I grab it often and every time I do, it makes me smile! The end.

Kinda ironic @codinghorror because even in the time it’s been since the thread was revived, it seems like we’ve been seeing more “interesting” designs imo. It seems like the size pendulum has swung in the opposite direction and now oversized yo-yos are more common, and I love it. I’m on a big yoyo kick right now. I love how they can feel light on the string but still completely stable. The vast majority still seems “competition focused” but there’s a decent selection out there.

Yes size (diameter) is increasing, and I am a fan of that trend, though I don’t think we’ll end up with Diabolo sizes any time soon :wink:

Width is increasing, too! Great bit of yoyo history here (deep link to specific time in the video)

You know I read this a while ago and I had never heard this advice stated in quite this way before – it really stuck with me, and I’ve thought about it a fair bit.

One of our twins (age 6 atm) has a habit of being exaggeratedly bored all the time and being pretty annoyingly vocal about it too, and I’ve started using this exact advice on her.

Only boring people get bored.

1 Like