Doctor Who

I am starting a new thread about my favourite of all Science Fiction franchises because the only one I can find when searching started in 2012 and ended in 2013.

Personally I am a fan of the classic series (1963 - 1989) and I have been listening to lots of the Big Finish Productions audio adventures lately, but anyone can discuss anyting Dr Who related here that they wish.

Anyway what are your top 10 favourite Dr Who serials?

Mine (in no order):
The City of Death (1979)
The Daemons (1971)
Inferno (1970)
Pyramids of Mars (1975)
The Invasion (1969)
The Deadly Assassin (1976)
Spearhead From Space (1970)
The Curse of Fenric (1989)
Caves of Androzani (1984)
Horror Of Fang Rock (1977)

2 Likes

It’s one of those intimidatingly huge back logs I mean to watch but always fall short. This is giving me the inspiration to give it another go ^_^. My wife is a diehard fan though.

1 Like

I love it for what it is. Modern telly viewers will find it difficult to contemplate the thought of not watching something sequentially from start to finish but you simply CAN’T do that with the classic series (mainly because chunks of it from the 60s no longer exist).

But it is a programme that travels through time AND space! Embrace the adventure and fun!

Nothing comes close as far as I am concerned (bar Blakes 7)

1 Like

I’ve watched most all of the post-2005 reboot. but I admit that I’ve not watched any of the classic doctors.

Huge Whovian here (even used the Doctor Who theme as my freestyle music for NER a few years ago). The Fourth Doctor is still probably my favorite, but the Twelfth is a close second.

Always loved Tom Baker as Doctor Who, probably because he was the Doctor when I was a kid.

Funnily enough I was thinking about Blake 7 recently, I never did get to see it when I was younger.
It’s a shame none of the many UK TV channels that seem to only run repeats are showing Blake 7, as I would definitely watch it.

BTW I got jelly babies as my forum profile background.

2 Likes

Blakes 7 is fantastic and it really is the polar opposite in theme and style to Star Trek, it is very bleak and very British.

I’m 36 and only came to Who as an adult, not through the new series though which I dins incredibly difficult to watch but through just picking up a few of the old DVDs. Although most of my favourite stories are from the Pertwee era I have to say Tom Baker is my favourite Doctor. He was absolutey perfect in the role!

Looks like all Blakes 7 episodes are available on youtube, so I will be watching them shortly.

1 Like

Finally got around at watching all of the Blakes 7 episodes.
Gotta Love Avon and Servalan.
Wasn’t keen on Travis though.

1 Like

I REALLY need to watch it all as I have only seen the first series. Once done I can then get on to onvestigating the Big Finish Blakes 7 audio dramas :slight_smile:

1 Like

https://www.bigfinish.com/ranges/v/blake-s-7---the-classic-audio-adventures