Do you lube your bearings? (For 1A)

I don’t think there is a poll about this, but I could be wrong.
Just thought it would be interesting to collect the data.

It might help dispel some misconceptions about lube.

Oh and to be clear, I’m really only talking about unresponsive yoyos.

When you say “the tiniest amount possible”, are you meaning that we hardly ever lube our bearings or that when we do, we use the tiniest amount of lube?

Just asking because “all the lube” sounds like someone who revels in the thought of slippery fingers and responsive play rather than someone who applies a tiny bit of lube fairly often. :stuck_out_tongue:

Good point. I’ll edit the question.
I meant “only what I can get on the tip of a pin, and only when needed.”

I thought this would be more of a yes no thing :smiley:

No

I only lube when I do a clean, and I only clean my bearings when I feel like its under performing or begins to feel gritty/responsive. I’ll squeeze out the tiniest possible drop, however my yoyo becomes slightly responsive. After an hour’s worth of use it breaks in and is long-spinning and unresponsive.

I lube my Yoyo every now and then, but I got a few new ones and Im thinking about it… Do you need to lube them right out of the Box? How lubing works with ceramic bearings?

I usually do a tiny bit after i clean the bearing. Just a little bit

It’s all personal preference.
I only lube them if they get loud so I would say there is no need to lube them out of the box.

I don’t know about ceramic bearings though. Never had one.

I use it when I maintenance my friends’ yoyos, but I personally do not use it on mine. I used to until I kept getting the annoying responsiveness that always makes my tricks snap back randomly and hit me in the hand.

The bearing i use eliminates any need for that

Whenever I clean them or when they get loud (90% of the time when they get loud I go ahead and clean them as well) and use a pins worth on both sides, within about 5 minutes of throwing they’re completely unresponsive.

I use a couple drops and play it responsive for a week. Breaks in really nicely that way, and I like quiet yoyos.

The pin head technique sounds silly to me; the bottles are made so that you can apply a full, even drop. Just give it a full drop and deal with the responsiveness for a little while! ::slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just curious… Why didn’t you just mention the name or type of bearing you use to eliminate the need for lubing?

1 Like

I guess im the odd ball here as I prefer and use almost exclusively the dry lube method. I have ONE bearing i keep wet lubed incase my wife is sleeping and i have to throw.
I also prefer ceramic hybrid bearings as well, they say they dont need it but its SOOOO much better with that dry power magic stuff. 5 bucks for lubed bearings for life pretty much.

Has anyone ever actually ran out of lube? I can never get the right amount on the pin cuz the lube sticks to the side of the nozzle and always drips off in huge undesirable drops.

I’VE BEEN RE-EDUCATED, GO AHEAD BRUH

That being said, my "competition oriented" (Caesar, bi-metals, Orca, etc…) throws are either ceramic bearings, or I use Terrapin X Dry Lube.

most of my YoYos, I’ve switched to lubing with a pin drop of Gorrilius Lubricus, makes them play really smooth and silent, which is my daily preference. Rebirth with the stock OD 10 ball and a good lube is just about the smoothest and quietest thing on the planet.

False. Or at least false-ish. Steel bearings don’t “need” it, either. The loads are not excessive. Ceramic bearings can benefit from lube the same way steel bearings do.

But you know, you could ask Frank Difeo his opinion on the matter; he’s more of an expert than me.

Odd, I was told by Terrapin to never lube Ceramic bearings. I guess there are different schools of thought on the matter. Oh well, maybe that was more about the dry lube

Yeah. Terrapin guy is… Terrapin guy…

He’s right that you don’t need to. But it’s not going to make it worse and it’s not an all-caps-worthy warning that’s needed to save our bearings from ourselves. :wink: Lube them if you like the properties that lube gives a bearing. Or don’t.

2 Likes

Ceramic hybrids may not need it, but they certainly benefit from that dry lube a good deal.
For instance a dry ceramic nice and clean would spin on a pencil tip say 20 secs but after a dry lube job can smash 45 secs or more (numbers are just guesstimate for convo) with the same flick power.
What harm could it possibly do?

Ive heard that ceramics dont need it, but to never lube them or risk damage seems strange to me.

Im making a video this evening to show what I see when I do it.