Dimpled Throws

I keep seeing people on here saying golf balls dimples make them more aerodynamic and that yoyos should have dimples to increase spin time,
other than the obvious fact that doing so would be hard to machine:
I’ve come to the conclusion that this would actually not improve the aerodynamics at all

the main reason golf balls have dimples is to reduce the turbulence wake that forms in the wake of the ball as it flies through the air, (helping it fly further) they don’t help maintain the spin and they don’t reduce skin friction.

if you only care about spin time and not feel or grinds , perfectly smooth might be the way to go

dimples might help throws float better though in some rare positions

does anyone else have thoughts on this?

6 Likes

There was an old yoyo done like this, I think I even tried it ages ago, I do not remember the brand, not a great one in aesthetic and playing honestly but again I speak about ages ago!

Edit: Found it!

6 Likes
1 Like

yeah its quite a cool concept, amazing it got made,

the response system looks quite unique too? I’ve never seen what looks like 4 individual pieces of rubber like that

1 Like

In Italy we had a lot of experiments with the return system (this yoyo is italian), look the one from Rollout if you are curious, I think we are some of the first to use the Arexons silicone back then.

The response system is basically 4 little o-rings in the hole, as said I played it and look at it in real life.
The yoyo played far from good also for that time, this was more a game between friends

1 Like

I think connected hexagonal dimples would look very cool!

1 Like

yeah that would look cool!
“hexagons are the bestagons”
if it was dimples a plastic responsive might feel nice in the hand with those

I wouldn’t mind some laser engravings based on hexagons

1 Like

there was a roo yo up for sale recently i think if you want to take it for a whirl…. mabe @yoyojoe

2 Likes