Further adventures in response systems

Prompted by this reply in another thread, another idea in this field that came and went was Roo-Yo’s SIDROMS from the mid-2000s.

Four teeny-tiny red silicone O-rings per side, held tightly in recesses, that you could… if you really wanted… move up and down to tweak responsiveness.

Back when the Internet was held together with string and only slightly outperformed a carrier pigeon for speed the rumour was that the machinist had misunderstood the instructions for “grooves to hold O-rings” but this - and I trust you are all sitting down - turned out to be inaccurate information on the Internet.

As such it combined elements of a starburst, O-rings and silicone for some sort of Response Trifecta. Regrettably it was soon replaced and I can’t recall any other manufacturer using the idea. Whilst it worked, it was~is a pig to adjust and balance properly.

Also of note on the internals are that the KonKave bearing sits on 3 (different) O-rings. I think this is intended to damp any vibrations as they are not needed mechanically.

Oh yeah, and it has golf-ball style dimples. It’s a lovely thing.

Edit: more pics. to pad things out.

16 Likes

I always wondered why we havent seen more dimple experiment throws

1 Like

Ever see that episode of Myth Busters where they test whether golf ball dimples work or not by putting them all over a car? IIRC they decided that the dimples do reduce drag. So, yeah, why not add them to more yoyos?! Aside from the fact that only Dif-e-yo is set up for that kind of machining, of course. :slight_smile:

That o-ring bump response reminds me a lot of the og Loop 720s. The idea being that you could use different string materials/thicknesses to adjust the responsiveness of the yoyo.

6 Likes

What a throwback! Wasn’t around for that but have seen some pictures of these Loop 720s when I was getting into 2A.