Different Styles of Ball Bearings

A nicely lubed AIGR is better than a 10-ball.

^^ Quoted for truth

However, you canā€™t get those anymore. That Iā€™m aware of. Lately, Ernie has been using the same profiled grooved bearings that everyone else is using.

Yeah thatā€™s exactly what I meant. If the yoyo starts turning one way or another because the string is not perfectly centered, you can just slightly tilt it to counter, and this can be done almost unconsciously with practice, just like controlling the tilt.
In the end, either flat or concave they are simply choices, just like h-shaped vs v-shaped.

1 Like

Anybody know what bearing has been shipped with recent CLYWs? I got a chief, the run before the most current one, and it shipped with a flat 10 ball but I have no idea what it is. Itā€™s fine, I just donā€™t know what it is

Dude it is a ten ball bearing

8 and 10 ball flat bearings are nice, but in the end they cause the yoyo to get off axis faster and precession occursā€¦ I just really dont enjoy playing with these types after throwing for 3 plus yearsā€¦

I really prefer center tracs or terapin centering bearings

http://makeameme.org/media/created/i-couldnt-agree.jpg

Whilst Iā€™m happy for people to use whatever they want, I personally donā€™t see any benefit to flat bearings over profiled ones, nor have I had any issues with the alleged ā€œstring bunchingā€ or any other negative results from a string centering bearing.

I see string centering bearings as the next evolution of flats (similar to how modern yoyos have changed in design to meet modern play eg. lower sidewalls), which have eliminated the issues flat bearings had such as the precession and the string rubbing up against the response. It takes the location of the string on the bearing completely out of the picture when you throw, so I really donā€™t see any downside to them.

I also agree that NSKā€™s are the gold standard of modern bearings, Iā€™ve been nothing but impressed with them so far. That being said, Iā€™m not really sure that the price is going to persuade me to switch from standard CTā€™s/Buddhasā€¦ not yet anyways. :slight_smile: