DESPERATELY Need Computer Help (Professional's Can Probably Only Answer)

Hello y’all! Yesterday, I uninstalled an Nvidia graphics card driver through the “uninstall programs” button in the Control Panel thinking I don’t need them because I have an AMD card and cpu. Now my POST, BIOS, and Windows booting logo show up, but my desktop always appear completely black, with my mouse popping in and out of the black screen every few seconds. Can anybody please help? I REALLYYYYY don’t want to give it to Geek Squad :{. Cheers! :smiley:

Have you ever hired an IT guy to service your computer? Mine was running really slow then I got an IT guy who put it back into business. He now runs daily checks on the computer to ensure that everything is up and running like it should be.

There are lots of possible reasons this might be happening.

Was this NVidia driver installed on your original system? Is there/was there a card, or on-board graphics that you were using and are now bypassing?

Did you change your graphics hardware from the original hardware? Are you installing a new card?

From the sound of it, you had a graphics setup that required this driver.

It is puzzling, however, that you say you have an AMD CPU with on-board AMD (ATI) graphics. If so, I am curious how an NVidia driver got there in the first place.

If you did nothing but just delete the driver, why not install it again? If that fails, then taking it to a professional will probably save you both time and money.

Good idea Zorro! Maybe I shall :smiley:

No Geezer, I’ve had AMD since I bought it, with the assumption that Nvidia stuff was installed simply so if I ever choose to install an Nvidia-type thing, it would be there. It is extremely weird indeed that I am getting a black screen from this. I’ve had one AMD card, then turned it in to the company to get a new AMD card. I can’t reinstall anything because I have the black screen >.<

When it happens… Can you see your Desktop shortcuts and the screen is just black or is it black with NO desktop shortcuts?!

If it is Black with NO desktop shortcuts then I would try to run it in Safe Mode (F8 at boot/startup) to see if it is just Driver related. Look up starting Windows Computer in “Safe Mode” and see if the blinking cursor goes away and if you are then able to see your Desktop (it will look a little different but should still be your desktop)

1 Like

the nVidia stuff was probably the onboard stuff for the motherboard.

Depends on what version of windows you have to solve it but you can try to do “safe mode” and revert back to a previous point. I think its under recovery or something on the start menu.

Usually:

Start -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore

1 Like

Fixed!! Went in safe mode, and by total luck there was the BEST restore point a person could ask for that Windows saved! I’ve never had such good luck in my life I tell you! Thanks y’all for the help, most GREATLY appreciated. Cheers! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

never ever uninstall drivers from old graphics cards because they directly tie into the motherboard… you can end up uninstalling the drivers that support all graphics cards…

i put all my driver programs and stuff in a locked file just to keep them safe.

also may i ask what cpu, motherboard, and graphics card are you using together…

Lesson… LEARNED!!!

I’ve got an FX-8350 8 core processor, 16GB ram, and for some reason it says “R9 200 Series” graphics card, not the specific model, and it does not state my motherboard anywhere.

Not a Mac.
walks away

Elitist snob…

1 Like

I was thinking more, walks away… in shame :slight_smile:

1 Like

LOL… I like that! ;D

OP… Glad you got your machine up and running!

R9 200… shoulda stuck with the nvidia card… better performance and runs cooler… but then again depends who made that R9…

I’d like to add that whenever you download drivers for anything, it’s always best to check the manufacturers website first. Most of the time, they have a menu where you select the device, version of windows and then click “download driver.”

Foofy, Radeons always say “200 series” or “300 series” and not the specific card. Never understood why not. If you still don’t know, this site can tell you.

Alecto, never understood people’s AMD hate. They offer a competitive product at a lower price point. The heat/power issue is a non-issue, especially with blower/reference style cards. If you get an aftermarket cooler, invest in case fans. Good airflow keeps the entire system cooler.

Same. Nvidia is better for higher end stuff but on a budget AMD is the way to go.

It isn’t really one out performing the other in my opinion. It comes down to developers and game optimization which usually doesn’t happen with AMD as often as it does with nVidia. Sometimes they would in the past but most recently, I’ve noticed that most games are optimized with nVidia making AMD having to play catch up most of the time if devs make those updates for AMD cards.

AMD is just as good for higher end stuff. Just look at the Fury X and its HBM RAM. All of AMDs current cards scale way better for multi-card setups than Nvidia’s lineup. Most of them also render higher resolutions better than their competitive card. I like Nvidia and have always bought Nvidia, but with all the PCs with AMD cards in them that I’ve helped people with, they’ve all been happy.

i know a lot of peoples hate for amd’s is misplaced. I have an amd fx6300 for my processor and it runs cooler then the i7 with a cooling system that the guy next door has.

I was thinking more of the lower end of the amd graphic card board. They sometimes have issues with heat there. The more expensive the amd gets though the better it gets. As in everything you really just get what you pay for.

Yea