Dental amalgam

Recently went to dentist (was putting it off for a long time cuz had cavity)…. Should’ve just oil pulled. I asked for a filling. Dentist wanted a crown. So I assumed it would be a white healthy filling and he’d just fill a little in. No this bastard drills through the middle of it and fills it with that mercury stuff… Now I’m a bit of a connoisseur of vapor if you know what I mean :honey_pot::fire:and I can deadass smell/taste the vapors coming off this thing. I found a homeopathic dentist that can remove this disgusting toxic filling. I asked my parents and they both said to leave it in :skull_and_crossbones:… what are your guys opinions on amalgam? And thing I need to know to detox from mercury I might miss? Totally inhaled some when he put that in. So upset. Wish I was a lawyer rn. Are all “normal” dentists scam artists? At this point I believe so

This is not a pity post just curious about y’all’s experiences. I know a lot of people that have had em I just don’t know how it didn’t bother them from my experience

1 Like

I have a mouth full of these fillings and I’ve never had any issues. I wouldnt worry about it. According to the FDA you aren’t at risk unless you’re pregnant, under 6 years old, allergic to it, etc. Also, maybe think twice before having someone remove it:

The FDA does not recommend anyone remove or replace existing amalgam fillings in good condition unless it is considered medically necessary by a health care professional (for example, documented hypersensitivity to the amalgam material). Removing intact amalgam fillings results in unnecessary loss of healthy tooth structure and a temporary increase in exposure due to additional mercury vapor released during the removal process.

6 Likes

leave it alone. its perfectly fine.

5 Likes

Yeah I’ve seen that side. It doesn’t take much digging to see that they’re not good in my opinion. Nice to hear you’ve had no issues though. I feel I am sensitive to chemicals. The smell/taste is driving me insane tbh. Thanks for the input!

I’d imagine the exposure during the removal process would be worse than just leaving it in your mouth for the rest of your life. They most likely have to grind it out with a dental bur which is going to give you a bunch of fine grained dust. Unless you just want to have the tooth pulled I guess.

My mother has had an amalgam crown her entire life and hasn’t had any issues.

6 Likes

You have to go to a certified homeopathic dentist to remove it safely. Doesn’t help I def swallowed/inhaled some when they put it in when I strictly said to use white filling before. So I’m honestly going to look into malpractice as leaving the dentist office with not what you wanted is probably the most “raped” I’ve ever felt

1 Like

“It” may be fine but I assure since I’ve had it put in I have not been fine

Some of those other vapors might help cover up the odor/taste :woozy_face:

I will also note that the enamel colored fillings aren’t as durable. I’ve had to refill a few of those but the amalgam ones are holding strong.

3 Likes

It’s why the dentist said he did it but would rather have no tooth than mercury in my mouth. The FDA can cover up whatever they want but it doesn’t take a genius to figure out mercury is highly toxic and shouldn’t be in your mouth… look up smoking teeth dental amalgam on YouTube. But yes thank god for smoking because if not for it I’d have gone insane by now from this and many other things ha

That sounds a bit ironic in the context of this thread.

I agree with @fradiger…I’d probably have more concerns with the removal process than leaving it in. It seems like the process of having it done was probably the most significant impact, and removing it seems like it would be just as bad.

6 Likes

I’d leave it, a dentist is far more qualified than you or anyone in this thread (assuming they’re not also a dentist) to be able to diagnose what you need or what might be dangerous for you.

4 Likes

To be honest I would recommend getting it out. You might be fine but a college of mine developed an autoimmune disease over time because of Amalgam poisoning. I don’t want to frighten you and I know that it is rather rare. From when he was a child (the time he got his filling) up until he where in his late 20ies he wasn’t showing any symptoms. The stuff was just accumulating itself inside his body until his immune system couldn’t take it anymore and his organs weren’t able anymore to filter this stuff out of his body. There are dentists which do have specialized methods to minimize further exposure when drilling it out. When I first heard about the issue with Amalgam I thought the whole topic is just inflated by some folks who are very deep inside Pharma conspiracy theories (I believe shady things happen in this industry but there are still many conspiracy theories floating around which have been proven wrong but still are believed by some). But I saw the test results of my college and it undoubtedly has been Amalgam poisoning.

1 Like

Take 10 minutes today when you have the time, and do a little research on it through trusted websites and articles. You’re gonna be fine my man lol

3 Likes

sources for both opinions

amalgam bad: The Hidden Dangers of Mercury Fillings | Blog

amalgam good: The Dental Amalgam Toxicity Fear: A Myth or Actuality - PMC

Dental Amalgam Fillings | FDA.

it could be the placebo effect, thinking that mercury fumes are harming you makes you smell them.

the evidence seems to be more on the side of amalgam fillings being okay.

Nih.gov is a very established government source and so is the FDA, willowparkdental
is just some random dentistry from calgary

homeopathic doctors can carry out malpractice and probably won’t be covered by dental insurance

tell me if i have anything wrong.

4 Likes

Lots of research can be cherry picked, try going into incognito mode and looking at the first couple suggestions, then make your decisions accordingly.

4 Likes

No heavy metal. UV resin what you want.

1 Like

I am 72. Some of my amalgam fillings are 65 years old. I probably have ten overall. Only one has been replaced and caused at least as much trouble as it solved.

I worked in the military and heavy industry for most of my life. I was checked many times for heavy metal poisoning. It was never an issue and I trusted the labs that did the testing. I am a retired marine chemist and industrial hygienist.

YMMV,

v/r
Jeff

13 Likes

Luckily you have come to the “dental expert” forum! :woozy_face:

5 Likes

The risks of removing these fillings far exceed any imagined benefit. They have been using amalgam for a century because it is safe and durable.

Lots of more important things to worry about IMO.

4 Likes

One time I went to a dentist that didn’t ask if I wanted the clear or the mercury filling type, I already had a few mercury ones. They ended up using clear which is more money apparently and my insurance doesn’t cover it. They expected me to pay for it. I think I’m healthy and I got a few mercury ones.

2 Likes