Delrin yoyo with metal rims.

I believe the patent is on the way the rims are attached. Not the rims themself.

Think its worth sending a company an email?

Ehhh, my belief is it’s on the whole concept. :wink:

I believe PlasticWhip is correct - patent applies to the specific way in which the rims are attached. You cannot patent an idea or concept, you have to go into very specific detail.

oh sorry, I was wrong, but then what makes delrin better than plastic?

It is an self lubricating material which I think make it better for grinds. And its machined like aluminum yoyos, so it is higher quality (usually).

Self lubricating? I think ill follow molly’s advice and not trust anything i dont know where it keeps its brain.

Delrin is called a self lubricating plastic because it has a very unique soapy feel to it. The plastics dont actually secrete any form of lubricant.

Again, celcon and Delrin are very similar to each other. The only real substantial difference is that celcon is injection molded and Delrin is machined. Because Deleon yoyo’s are constructed in a more precise manor, they are typically more high quality and expensive.

No it is not. Yes. The patent is on the actual placing of a heavier material, usually metal, on the outside rim of the yoyo. This is why the Werrd BEEF was taken off the shelves, even though it was aluminum with steel rims.

EDIT: I originally read this statement as the actual METHOD of how the metal rims are actually placed.Upon reading it again, this is exactly right.

Well, I have a Crucial Half & Half, which is delrin The way it is made, it appears to have been machined. Of course, to my untrained eye, I wouldn’t take my statement as any sort of authority. But the lines and finish are too clean and finished in my opinion and it reminds me of a machined aluminum. This was bought to have a delrin example, as well as for use of course.

For the H&H, I like the shape, but wish it was a bit heavier. Maybe if it was larger that would help. Maybe adding a metal ring into it would help.

I also have a Fiesta XX, which is made of celcon. It appears to my untrained eye that this has been made using some sort of molding process, and shows signs typical of many items that are molded and then finished. Is it unattractive? No, not in the least. I intend to be able to do 4A with this in the future, but for now, it’s a celcon example that will be waiting for me to become ready for the time when I am ready to learn 4A. However, putting a metal ring into an off string would probably not be a good idea just because by their very nature, off-strings are dropped probably far more often than anything else. I mean, I drop my arm quite a bit sometimes just doing 1A stuff and bounce the yoyo off the carpeted floor.

Quality? I think they are of equal quality, when you evaluate them for what they are. The Fieta XX is quite a bit larger than the H&H, and it weighs more too, but since that weight is spread out over a larger area, it doesn’t feel heavier to me, despite the fact that it is heavier. If I look at their construction though and how the material seems to behave, I gotta say the delrin, but that could be because I’m dealing with totally different construction methods of non-similar yoyos. The delrin feels super solid and metal-like without being metal. The Fiesta feels like a durable, rigid plastic.

we did the prototype

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/197804_193098527418668_147426091985912_518480_2454196_n.jpg

Of this yoyo!!!???Did you already have the idea or get it from this post?

And also (again) what are the specs?

if im not mistaken i think these protos are pre-worlds