Deleting all social media - yo-yo news

I’ve finally decided to delete all social media. I have my reasons.

But one thing that keeps me wishing is all the info and drops and tricks im going to miss out on. Has anyone else done anything similar. If so how do you stay aware?

7 Likes

You can get emails for news updates on some brands.

Tricks your pretty much out of luck unless you stumble on them via YouTube.

5 Likes

Will you stay here?

I don’t do FB and my IG is strictly yo-yo. It’s heaven.

I do have discord too but it’s a lot with all the separate channels.

4 Likes

Do you consider Discord social media? It’s not your typical Facebook, Instagram or Twitter and would allow you to stay connected similarly to the way you’re connected here. Many companies have their own servers, and if you don’t want to participate in the discussion, you could use it to set notifications to their respective “news” channels to be notified of important drops or brand news. There are also dedicated trick servers where 100% of the discussion is dedicated to tricks only. I can hook you up with an invite if you’re interested. Lmk! But yeah, basically Discord is a FANTASTIC way to stay integrated into the important news/yoyo specific discussions without needing the typical “social media” outlets.

6 Likes

My solution was just deactivating my notifications. I check IG once a day if I’m lucky and there is a 30 minute max timer on it

8 Likes

Leaving here would be like stopping breathing at this point lol.

YYE is great but there are some drops and news I only see on Instagram. IE the pink Panorama. Maybe I’ll see them here more if I pay better attention

5 Likes

This is a great idea I’m going to check out. Thank you!!

2 Likes

FWIW, I got an email from OD’s mailing list about the Pink Panorama.

6 Likes

Honestly at this point I should just give you my checks hahahaha. You’re the only company in signed up for news letter wise - I can say that if I wouldn’t be able to get info any other way than Insta G2 would have been the only reason I stay. Sorry fanboy here

Do you announce random drops in discord too?

1 Like

That’s worth a ton. Thanks

2 Likes

Discord is far from perfect. But it’s my main location for interactions now. Gets better as you get used to it. Turn notifications off when your join.

6 Likes

Well I have social media but do not use it as most do.

All following comments are my own ideas.

Social media is not a window to shout out my thoughts into the world.

Social media is a window that allows me to see a complex world that surprises me each time I look out at it.

If I had to give them all up but one social media I would keep YYE forum.
If you leave You will be missed while you are gone.

See you when you return.

5 Likes

Yup, like Jake expressed, this info can be had via email subscription. Visit your favorite websites and sign up. Even here with email, I get so much spam, I set my yo-yo companies as favorites so I can just see yo-yo.

I found “social media” to be much more tolerable when I’m interested in looking, not when it decides to tap me on the shoulder every half second. It’s just too much.

2 Likes

Not leaving YYE - I should have clarified.

At this point in my life y’all are my only friends and link to the outside haha.

I work from home, live in a rural area, and like yo-yos.

12 Likes

Good idea to set to favorites!!!

1 Like

I did this too I only ever see yoyo stuff my wife find it strange

2 Likes

I haven’t been on social media since MySpace ha, just this forum. I can check instagram for drops if I want to, or subscribe to newsletters. I don’t feel like I have to have the next best thing so it’s okay if I miss it. There’s always b/s/t anyway. I have been thinking about the fixed axle discord or instagram because I’ve been recording tricks lately, and I could see more of other people’s tricks, but I’ve had a personal “no social media” policy for so long that I’m not sure if I want to pull that trigger. :thinking:

5 Likes

I ditch all soical media about six months ago. It has been freeing. I spend alot less time glued to may phone which has made time for more of my hobbies. I have missed some drops because of it. Mainly onedrop stuff that i have wanted, but i accepted that that would be the case when i got off of everything. I still follow a few discords and the forums thats it.

9 Likes

I was off social for like ten years before making a profile here. Here’s my breakdown of all the Yoyo socials.

Instagram is cool to watch other people’s trickcircles and I like to post tricks there but it doesn’t matter you can just watch other peoples tricks if you want or not but it is the best spot to see trick circles. It sucks when you finish watching vids from ppl you follow tho bc the algorithm sucks terribly and starts showing you random stuff. Easy to shut off the app tho

Discord is cool but it takes a second to get used to ppl talking over each other and finding the right server for you .

Facebook sucks as a company and I’m already folding by being on insta but w/e. I never got on there for yo-yos and I’m never going to.

Lol TikTok no way. Lol twitter no way.

Op you ain’t gonna miss much imo. Lots of dope releases are talked about on here ahead of time or the newsletters ppl been sharing.

10 Likes

You do know that OD has an email list? They only mail out for new products and drops.

4 Likes