Declining popularity of this hobby?

Man if you want help on how to make tutorials im here for you, ik a pretty efficient way to make them. Infact i challenged myself on my latest video to even only edit on a phone and it came out pretty well imo (needs some adjusts like rerecording stuff tho) In the near future i want to make a tut on how to make tuts, even if you only have a phone and nothing else

Agree they great, so why don’t use them instead of complain of videos recorded 15 years ago? This is the demonstration that is possible to find good tutorials online nowadays.

About make tutos its such a job which I do not have time to do honestly, it really takes ages also using only the phone and only one recording source.

I usually pass elements on instagram to people that DM me and I record a video for them, it happened also that I learnt tricks just to explain them to people, @Georgekouts is an example that can testify about this, I have no problems in that but between a video recorded in my pj and a full set to record properly a trick there is a sea of difference

2 Likes

this is a blatent misunderstanding of how human beings learn anything. I’m SO grateful that at least in arenas such as public education we have learned from the mistake of assuming that everyone learns the same way and it’s someone’s fault if they don’t understand something the way it is presented. to suggest that because one way of learning something worked for a group of ppl that it should just work for everyone is plain wrong and misguided

1 Like

Isn’t your argument that quality of tutorials is the what is holding back people from joining or sticking with the hobby? If not then maybe I misunderstood your argument. I think that yoyo can be easy or difficult depending on how far you want to go. Many seem happy only learning and throwing basic tricks. Others want to learn the competition meta or complex modern tricks. If you are in latter camp or somewhere in between you have to be willing to put in hours of work to build up to that point. If you aren’t willing to do that then sadly, you won’t ever succeed in goal and you might find more happiness following a different passion.

Rewind has good and bad tutorials by your definitions. The detailed ones are better, but they will post a trick a day with varying degrees of detail. The best tutorials are the ones that are of a trick I want to learn.

If you are truly wanting to publish tutorials that meet the goals of new and intermediate players then I would suggest that you seek out the needs and frustrations of those players. If you are creating a tutorial without doing so then you really aren’t doing anything that hasn’t been done before IMO.

YoTricks took the time to do just that and to consider what some of the common issues players would have. Although they probably still just made broad assumptions. Also SkillAddicts exists. While many of the custom tutorials are low quality the concept of requiring players to submit videos of themselves performing the tricks is a novel approach to the learning problem. It also gives players a community built around helping others learn and an place to ask questions and get feedback.

3 Likes

I definitely think there is a skill disparity between people who live in an area with many active and skilled yoyoers and can attend clubs and learn in person versus those who just learn online. Skateboarding is the same way, you’ll make way more progress if you go to skateparks and get pointers from people who can see what you are doing wrong.

3 Likes

Fwiw, this is always going to be the case regardless of how good tutorials and other learning resources get. You see this happen in just about everything: e.g. fighting games like Street Fighter/Tekken are largely dominated by players who have strong local scenes despite lots of resources/the ability to practice directly online. This is because learning through active feedback, discussion and community is always going to be better than a set learning resource.

Fwiw I agree with not being super keen on tutorials that are just playing the trick in slow-mo with maybe a POV shot. But that said, I’ll still take getting those tutorials over not having them at all and the people who made them still deserve props for putting in effort to help people improve.

Side note: the title of this thread is pretty silly lol. The hobby is pretty clearly not declining in popularity.

4 Likes

Yeap! Albert is the man. Him snd @GTDropKnot always help me when needed.